Thread: Soldering delicate gallery strip

Question Soldering delicate gallery strip

Hi can any one advise me : I tried to solder a gallery strip to a bezel but they melt before the solder flows it's silver ! Thanks .

Quote Originally Posted by Debra 666 View Post
    Hi can any one advise me : I tried to solder a gallery strip to a bezel but they melt before the solder flows it's silver ! Thanks .
    We really need to see what you are trying to solder and also what torch set up, solder and flux you are using before giving advice.
    Photos always explain better that text.

James

Are you using the gallery instead of bezel strip? If so heating from below the base plate works well for this. You'll get more than enough radiated heat to bring the gallery up to temperature for the solder to flow.

If you're trying to add gallery to bezel strip, you're probably working too hot and direct. Both are pretty thin and a soft bushy flame should work fine.

Thank you I am just using gallery strip on a sheet . Not a bezel I can do them ok . I am using easy paste solder with flux in it and severt torch , if I heat below the base plate do I need to buy any special solder board etc ,if you could advise .would one of those wig jigs do ( I think there called that ) ? Thanks

You can use a tripod or lots of other things. I just prop bits on odd bits of broken charcoal block or hold them in a third hand or tweezers as a general rule. I try to always make this the last join in a piece to avoid any issues with reheating, and paste works beautifully for this type of job.

Small strips of titanium bent into V shapes is what I use. The stainless James advocates for soldering clamps also makes good V supports (particularly when I can't remember where I've put the tin with the Ti ones).

Thank you for your help it's much appreciated and very helpful Will be trying all these

I use an old steel toast rack with a metal mesh sheet on top.