Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New tree of life broach

The mechanism works with sideways tension that pulls the pin up and away from slot underneath the "e" shaped hook. Gravity also works at pulling the pin up and backwards when the piece is worn. At least that's how the theory works. This is only the second broach I have made. Otherwise I have concentrated on pendants, bracelets and rings.

Today is a casting day for me. I switched on the kiln first thing in the morning. This is probably a mistake because the weather forecast is for 33 later in the day. I will just have to keep up the fluids.

Your catch is very similar in functional design. The main functional difference is the hook that retains the pin. Yours is an inverted "U" shape while mine is a sort of "e" without the curly bit at the bottom. When I made the hook I bent the end in sharply by sawing half way through, opening up the slot with a triangular and then a square file, bending in and soldering with hard solder. The idea is that the pin comes through the slot and is pulled upwards and outwards away forom the slot by tension and/or gravity

sorry about the double posting I thought I had lost the first one.