Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi!

Default Hi!

Hi all, I'm Jo, & I've recently (05/10/10) opened a small jewellery shop in Leicestershire.

It's going well so far, lots to do, and with 2 small children it's difficult as I can only be open 3 days of the week. Just wanted to introduce myself

Jo

Hi Jo - what do you make?

Hi Peter, I make a bit of everything, from wedding & engagement rings to bespoke designs back to traditional - I recently made at 18ct yellow gold "Dearest" ring!

Jo

Hello!

Would love to see some of your jewellery! What part of Leicestershire is your shop in? I'd love to some day have a bricks and mortar shop but it seems like such a huge commitment.

Hi Emily, I'm in Burbage - between Coventry & Leicester. It was a huge leap as my children are only 2 & 4, but the rent is low & we just had to go for it. I'll see if I can attach some pictures... What kind of thing do you do?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pod Eearrings.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	12.0 KB 
ID:	4130

Name:	Wave Ring 2.jpg 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	4129

Big hello from me
    Babette

Hi Jo, I like the ring, very nice. I hope your venture into the "shop world" goes better than mine did. Lol. All history now, but annoying and frustrating at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
    Hi Emily, I'm in Burbage - between Coventry & Leicester. It was a huge leap as my children are only 2 & 4, but the rent is low & we just had to go for it. I'll see if I can attach some pictures... What kind of thing do you do?

Name:	Pod Eearrings.jpg 
Size:	12.0 KB 
ID:	4130

Name:	Wave Ring 2.jpg 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	4129

Hi Babette!

Why Patstone - what happened?

My daughter and I decided to share a shop with a lady that made cushions and bags and accessories for the home. We met at several craft fairs and we were quite often put on the next table to each other so we became friends. She worked for an estate agent and she said there was a cheap shop that was in a small shopping precinct, so we had a look at it and it seemed ideal, about a week before we were due to open she brought in a load of cheap silver plated stuff that a friend of hers had made, selling for peanuts, and of course it made our stuff look expensive in comparison, although ours was solid silver and hallmarked. That was the first problem we had and it just got worse and worse so we pulled out 3 months before the end of the six month contract finished and just paid up the last few months and took all our stuff out. To make matters worse, we didnt sell a thing while we were in there, found out afterwards that the days she was supposed to work there she put her eleven year old in to look after the shop, not a happy experience.

That sounds like a nightmare - I'm sorry it didn't work out, & hopefully it hasn't completely put you off?

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    My daughter and I decided to share a shop with a lady that made cushions and bags and accessories for the home. We met at several craft fairs and we were quite often put on the next table to each other so we became friends. She worked for an estate agent and she said there was a cheap shop that was in a small shopping precinct, so we had a look at it and it seemed ideal, about a week before we were due to open she brought in a load of cheap silver plated stuff that a friend of hers had made, selling for peanuts, and of course it made our stuff look expensive in comparison, although ours was solid silver and hallmarked. That was the first problem we had and it just got worse and worse so we pulled out 3 months before the end of the six month contract finished and just paid up the last few months and took all our stuff out. To make matters worse, we didnt sell a thing while we were in there, found out afterwards that the days she was supposed to work there she put her eleven year old in to look after the shop, not a happy experience.