Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deburring jump rings en masse

LOL. yes.... Wire or a bit of elastic thread.

Some shot just needs a stronger magnet though

For the mandrels, I find transfer punches very useful, but have been found wandering round hardware stores with a digital caliper in hand just measuring anything that might be the size I'm looking for!

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    ...but have been found wandering round hardware stores with a digital caliper in hand just measuring anything that might be the size I'm looking for!
    So glad it's not just me!
    Anne

Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
    Blog: http://www.whiteoakjewellery.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Some shot just needs a stronger magnet though
    If a hard drive magnet won't lift the shot, there's a reasonable chance the shot is non-magnetic.

For the mandrels, I find transfer punches very useful, but have been found wandering round hardware stores with a digital caliper in hand just measuring anything that might be the size I'm looking for!
    Ah... My transfer punches are in another toolbox, being transfer punches! A damn good idea though. It also occurs to me that they'd be a dead easy way to find the centre of punched discs.
    Do you drill them for winding?

Oh well Peter, you'll be busy picking rings out!

I just use the transfer punches in a low torque drill or an electric screwdriver with a snap in chuck. And yes, they're handy for centering too

Pair of tweezers and a sheet of paper - wasn't too bad after all. But I think I'd prefer not to repeat it!

random post, have you looked on the website mailleartisans.org? I've not looked recently but I recall a lot of info on making jumprings, among other things ;-)

I use knitting needles to wind my coils, pick them up in car boot sales and charity shops for pennies one advantage is the size is already marked on them. To cut them I use a Stanley multi-angle vice very useful v grove under rubber jaws. I put a deep tray to catch them and they cut in no time. don't know what size blades I use as being new to jewellery making I am still working through the gross that came with my frame.

Carl
    Last edited by Carl Grigg; 21-11-2012 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DGFerguson View Post
    random post, have you looked on the website mailleartisans.org? I've not looked recently but I recall a lot of info on making jumprings, among other things ;-)
    I have, but I don't remember seeing much on deburring.

Carl, always double check the measurements marked on your knitting needles. As a general rule, they're smaller than they claim to be, which can make a huge difference if you're attempting an AR sensitive weave.

Yup, stringing them on a copper wire "safety pin" makes it much quicker to remove them from the shot! Undecided as to whether I prefer cutting from inside or out - cut from inside and you aren't left with jump rings bouncing around on the saw blade.