Thread: A replica of Henry VIII's royal crown

Default A replica of Henry VIII's royal crown

Check out this video; http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/vi...is-crown-video
    It is about Hampton Court's commission for a replica crown of HenryVIII, the original was destroyed by Oliver Cromwell when he came to power.
    A couple of my friends, David Stevens and Graham Harling of David Graham Goldsmiths, were the craftsmen who made this replica, although they do not get any credits in this film. The crown had to be made using traditional methods as used by goldsmiths in the 16th century.

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 17-11-2012 at 10:37 AM.

I miss typed the thread title as it should read Henry VIII's royal crown and not Henry VII's royal crown, sorry but I don't know how to edit the thread title.

James

I'm not sure if you can - it's under "thread tools", "edit thread" for me though so it's sorted.

What a fantastic project to be involved in! I'm slightly surprised at the stones - are there no facetted stones there? And were the setting soldered on or rivetted?

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    I'm not sure if you can - it's under "thread tools", "edit thread" for me though so it's sorted.

What a fantastic project to be involved in! I'm slightly surprised at the stones - are there no facetted stones there? And were the setting soldered on or rivetted?
    Thanks for the editing Peter,
    The only visual records of this crown are on old oil paintings.
    The stone settings had small lengths of tubes soldered sideways onto the setting's back plates, then they were fitted into square holes so that they didn't revolve, and finally when fitting they had pins pushed through the tube holes to secure the settings in place. Some settings had U shapes solder on their backs which were also pushed through square holes before being spread open to secure the settings. I don't think there were any facetted stones used, only cabs and pearls.

James

Fascinating James

Thank you.

Sonia
    x

Stunning piece of work.. if only I could be that good one day

Fantastic to see. Thank you for the link James.

ahhh Lovely! I was in the V&A last week and whilst wandering around the jewellery rooms, I wondered if I'd see any of your stuff there, James

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    ahhh Lovely! I was in the V&A last week and whilst wandering around the jewellery rooms, I wondered if I'd see any of your stuff there, James
    You won't see any of my work at the V&A sadly, although they do keep a photo CD record of my work in their artist research section. One reason why my work is not there is because of their collection rules. A few years ago, one of my best UK customers was making his will and asked the V&A if he could donate some pieces of my work to them in his will. They said yes and sent him some paperwork to fill in, this was when his lawyer pointed out to him that within the paperwork there was a section saying that by signing this will contract with the V&A, he would be agreeing to let the museum sell the donated item at auction if they needed the funds for buying something else they wanted. My customer didn't like this clause and as he has no living relatives he has changed his will and left the £150K worth of my work to a local charity rather than the V&A.

James

they can sell off donated stuff? That's pretty shocking.

Anyway, I have come away chock full of inspiration. I just need to get my skills up to scratch