Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else feel this way?

Amazing that. Dennis.

Your work is lovely keia but if you look at Notonthehighstreet, the works that sells the most isn't the artistic stuff but the commercial stuff. I've had to learn that lesson and go down the commercial route. I do sell a few expensive slightly different pieces during the year, especially at Christmas, but the vast majority of my sales are simple pieces that have a wide appeal. Boring I know, but sadly true.

I haven't done any craft fair type events. The only events I've been to are local "pamper evenings" where there are massages, nails being done, hairdressers. Sometimes there have been other jewellery makers there, but never another with sterling silver pieces. I've treated each of them (3 all told) as being evenings at which I expect to sell nothing - I'm just pleased if some one speaks to me and picks up a business card, if they actually let me start enthusing about the chain maille pieces I'm thrilled. Luckily each of these events has been for charity so the "cost" has been £10 and an item for the raffle so very cheap for me even when not selling something. I've found I enjoy these events I expect 'cos my expectations are so low so when I actually sell something it is a massive bonus. I think if I booked myself for a bigger event with higher costs that my nerves would come out to play, not sure what I'd do then. I love your work Keia and wish I could offer advice/help on your nerves.
    Anne

Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
    Blog: http://www.whiteoakjewellery.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Keia View Post
    Yep I'd agree with that point about there already being so many jewellers on there. But, I think I might have found a little way round that one. I've recently been getting back into my steampunk in a big way. Recently, I was commissioned to make a fully working steampunk clock. It was cut from copper & brass sheet with a wirewrap copper cat. I then had to make a cradle for it, after being told it was to sit on a mantle peice rather than hooked on the wall. I'm hoping to make quite a collection of these (all different ofcourse!) and it's these that I would sell on these platforms, rather than having to face so much competition with the jewellery as you said =)

I find Steampunk to be not readily available and disturbingly overpriced, which is such a shame because it's a great genre! Hopefully I can bring something different to the table and not rip people off while doing it and get my stuff seen =D

Attachment 4041Attachment 4042
    that's lovely! I've often been underwhelmed by steampunk stuff. It seems most people think just sticking a few random cogs on something is enough. It's great to see something like this that embodies the ethos of it.

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    I've often been underwhelmed by steampunk stuff. It seems most people think just sticking a few random cogs on something is enough.
    If you look at the 'not remotely steampunk' section on Regretsy some people don't even bother with the cogs!!

Just taking a look the now Myosotis =) The Wiki page excerpt had me in stitches! Some of the items seem to be more Cyberpunk/Cybergoth to me =O And some of them are horrendous - ok, most of them ><
    I've bookmarked the page, to make sure I don't end up on there lol!!

Thankyou for the kind comments on the clock, I hope to move on to wooden boxes with copper or brass detailing riveted on soon. Hopefully they'll be good enough without the need for any cogs =p
    Sian Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    Notonthehighstreet is an amazing platform but I couldn't recommend it to other jewellers as there is so much jewellery on there now, and unless you're well established then your work doesn't get seen.
    That's interesting to note Carole - I was thinking of looking into it next year, but I might not bother then. It seems like an awful lot of money to pay if your work doesn't sell.

Damn you Myosotis, I'm supposed to be working but can't stop looking at the site haha! It's brilliant!
    That's a shame about Notinthehighstreet Carole, there was me thinking it was a platform like how Etsy used to be - for handcrafted, non mass produced items, oh well. =)
    Last edited by Keia; 20-11-2012 at 01:18 PM. Reason: spelling s z sz zsss zzzz??
    Sian Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by Myosotis View Post
    If you look at the 'not remotely steampunk' section on Regretsy some people don't even bother with the cogs!!
    OMFG! the indian squaw steampunk loincloth. My eyes!

You saw. You can't unsee.

Think I might have posted this before?

As for nerves - I have my first exhibition next month. I *was* bricking it fractionally, but since getting the pieces off to the assay office I'm a lot more relaxed (although it's difficult for me to hold off on stone setting until after hallmarking). I've got a minimum of 3 days curating - I'll probably help out for some others too - so I've got the joy of dealing with the general public to look forwards to; not something I've done for a fair few years.