Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Polishing oxidised jewellery

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Hi trialuser (sorry, don't know your real name!), we're talking here about something that's been deliberately patinated with LoS or (my preference) platinol. And no, tumbling does not remove the darkened effect, simply polishes it, which can help with highlighting. If any patina does flake away, it's not been properly created in the first place.
    That's really useful to know thanks - I'd assumed it would be burnished off.
    I have some blackened stuff in mind for christmas pressies.
    Martyn.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    If any patina does flake away, it's not been properly created in the first place.
    Now you've got me curious George, because I find flaking is a constant problem with patination of silver. I texture my silver to give it more of a key, degrease with plenty of detergent and rinse in cold water. Even so, for me applying Platinol neat results in some flaking, so much so that I dilute my Platinol with equal parts of purifyed water.

On a good day that deals with it, but sometimes a bare patch has to be touched up. So what's 'properly created' ? Regards Dennis.

I dilute my platinol much more heavily Dennis - probably about 1:10 with lukewarm water, and build up the layers in anything up to 20 dips, rinsing in cold water in between. I only ever use it neat to 'paint' into deep recesses (for text for example), though I tend to use the sharpie trick for low-wear areas now. Seems to work for me, but these are generally quite small pieces, and I do polish back quite heavily as I don't generally want a very black finish.

Thanks for that, George. There are no instructions to do that of course, and this is the first time anyone else has admitted to tinkering with the formula- something I thought I had invented for myself. Dennis.

Hello everyone! has anyone tried using Jade oil as fixative for oxidization and tarnishing on silver? i googled and it seem quite effective, then i found this thread mentioning renaissance wax.. Did somebody tried both products? thanks
    tony

Hi Tony,

Once Silver has been blackened, anything which gives it a wet look will improve the appearance. So you can list water, oil, wax, or Arabian Oudh.
    Some misguided souls even use lacquer.

The finish beloved of jewellers is Renaissance Wax. But all these things wear off the high spots with time. Dennis.

I bought a pendant in Mexico before I started making my own jewellery and as it had got a bit yukky, I decided to put it in my tumbler to brighten it a bit, the purpose made oxidation came off, so I am left with a piece without any black on at all. Which incidentally I prefer.

Thank you for the clarification Dennis! i was also bit naive expecting the patina would last forever..