Thread: Chemset Resins

Default Chemset Resins

I've been having a look at using the Chemset resins to add team colours to some little crash helmet charms that I make.

I've read all the stuff, and it seems like I'd need to use the thixotripic resin to cover a curved surface, but what I can't find (I'm sure I'm just being blind) is how to apply the resin to the piece. A small brush? Something entirely different?

Has anyone had experience with using these resins? The glitter ones look like so much fun!

All advice gratefully received.

Lauren

I use these quite a lot - and took a course with Clare John a couple of years ago, which was excellent (and very much worth doing).

I like the thixotropic for rings, and I use a pointy proddy tool (or a toothpick if I can't find it). The resin really is quite thick - it needs to be or it will run - and anything like a brush wouldn't pick it up at all.

I was trying to find courses George, but I'm not sure where she's based and got a bit confused.

Glad someone else describes tools in the way I do Does the pointy proddy thing need to be made of wood? I have a whole bunch of hard rubber silver clay sculpting tools that I never use - would one of those do?

Ooh, nevermind - just found her. Now to look up where Gloucestershire is on the map...

My specific pointy proddy thing is metal - it's actually a dental tool that I also use for wax sculpting as it has a very nice point on the other end. Anything with a fairly fine tip that can be cleaned up or thrown away will work just find though!

Clare's a great teacher, and runs courses in various places other than her own studio as well.

Bah! None of the dates this year I can do I might just get some and play with it - see how I get on.

I forgot I had a whole bunch of wax carving/dental tools. Pointy proddy thing sorted then!

It's not complicated stuff to use at all. The thixotropic is a bit tough to mix at first - and can benefit from being warmed a little before scooping out.

As with all resins, the key to a really good result is accurate measuring.

Ooh yes, must get mini scales!