Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My new business cards...

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohn View Post
    Anyone that registers a website is allowing anyone in the world access to your personal details, full name and address.
    ...for business use. You can opt-out if it is for personal use.

I agree with Bijou, better to be safe than sorry!

Julesx

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    ...for business use. You can opt-out if it is for personal use.
    Yeah Peter is right - I just asked my web expert fiance as I was a bit concerned!

To be honest I've signed up to so many online businessy directories that I'd have real trouble deleting my details from them all if I ever wanted to!

It does scare me a bit that there is so much info about me on the web!

Excuse the generalisation, I did mean that initially. I had no idea until I was stiffed by an internet retailer.
    Sounds familiar. Of course, if you subsequently find that the internet retailer in question is not actually in the UK - despite having a .co.uk address - then the distance selling act has no relevance.

Google Simply Electronics...

Also, if your web site is hosted for you then it won't be your home address either.

As for the co.uk thing, there have been alot of Russian and Chinese scammers buying co.uk addresses lately so you have to be super careful when buying online.

I just like to feel safe in the fact that the every-day-joe on the street doesn't know everything about me and I am super careful after being stalked, the man terrified me.

Obviously he spent far too much time looking for every detail and there's no way you can stop these kinds of people but I have always lived by the better safe than sorry motto as I have enough problems in my ever day life to deal with without weirdos turning up on my doorstep

I also live above a flat which is regularly rented out to immigrants and the last lot were (and still are) far from savoury law abiding citizens and I really wouldn't feel safe them knowing I store jewellery up here and there's only a thin inner door between them and me as it's a converted house with a communal hallway especially on days like today when I am all alone and he is in downstairs and sometimes there's 10 of them down there!

I'm not having-a-go (as people say) I just feel safer this way!

I have heard this, a few friends have been stung by chinese companies using .co.uk addys, so you do have to be careful online shopping.

My rule of thumb is use them if you trust them and always do a bit of research if you haven't heard of them before committing to a purchase.

Google is your friend.
    I have been stung by this very recently indeed - on ebay. Absolutely no indication that it was a Hong Kong based company until I had paid, when I was told your gemstones will be despatched from Hong bloody Kong!

Luckily it was a very small order for some citrine but it could have been nasty.
    Di x

Those cards are brilliant! That font is just perfect with the logo

Read through this thread earlier and as I was concentrating on the side issues discussed just realised I didn't post about the cards!

FAB logo and brilliant cards!!!

Just noticed this. My reply was just to alert anyone to the lack of anonymity online and I personally think that my security is more protected than yours, for a start I do not have a business website so nobody can look up my address. I do have a picture online but nobody knows my address. I do not give out my address and if I did have a website it would not be for commercial purposes, so I could hide my address.
    It's a start, but there are very few people who are truly anonymous online. It's all about establishing links.

I am also intelligent enough to realise that the criminal element aren't as dumb as you seem to think, desperate, yes and their actions definitely leave a lot to be desired.
    As a sweeping generalisation, the more intelligent criminals are usually going to do a risk/benefit analysis - so will tend to go for higher value targets; the less so tend to be more opportunistic and resort to disproportionate levels of violence for the end gain. Most people in the UK aren't equipped (mentally primarily) to face that sort of thing, so are cowed by it.

Reading the above just made you come across as incredibly rude.
    ...and this is the biggest problem with the net as a whole. There's no context at all (probably best to keep me off the subject of context in communication when applied to different societies!) and therefore it is up to the reader to infer context - which may or may not have been there in the first place. But in this case, it's not for me to infer

(and yes, smilies can be used for context or merely a linguistic crutch!)