Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: November Theme Competition

lovely designs all of you! I am way too impatient for wire wrapping and every time I have tried reticulation I seem to end up with a burnt, melted mess...

Quote Originally Posted by art925 View Post
    Attachment 4024

My favourite technique is silver reticulation, so here is my piece: Reticulated silver, laboratory created 7mm ruby set in 14ct gold, all hanging from a steel rope. This was commissioned this month for a 40th wedding anniversary, hence the ruby. My customer opted for the lab created ruby because all those I could find at this size were overpriced and not of good quality. Lab created ruby provides colour and clarity at half the price, and offers a great flawless contrast to the reticulated silver.

Les

Wow, Les. That is simply amazing. Or, to quote my daughter, "totes amazeballs" (quite honestly the one and only time I can agree with her on its use!)

Quote Originally Posted by art925 View Post
    My favourite technique is silver reticulation,
    I rather like that, Les and the flared tubing for a bail and the little notch. Is it suspended from a cord? Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I rather like that, Les and the flared tubing for a bail and the little notch. Is it suspended from a cord? Dennis.
    Thanks Dennis, it is suspended from a steel cord or rope, about 2.5mm, the pendant itself is quite a chunky chap and I felt silver gave the wrong feel to the piece if you know what I mean although it was an option for my client, I wanted something a little more industrial to contrast with the gold and the stone. The little notch appeared due to my own impatience, there was enough plate not to have the notch but I felt it offered more by remaining. Thankyou everyone for your comments as an international it is my first time to enter one of the monthly comps. Wish me luck, the lucky lady receives it on Saturday...and my client is so thrilled to have his piece entered in a competition, I will pass on all your comments.

Les
    Poor old Les

Really great entries =D
    Sian Williamson

I really like that Les. That ruby is gorgeous - I've been thinking about getting some lab created stones, so think I'll take the plunge now I've seen that!

I am having difficulty uploading my image today, I'm being told it is 'not a valid image file' but it's exactly the same as any other photo I upload. I'll have another go later on.

I think the image server may need restarting - it's been flagged for attention.

Hi,
    Image uploads should be working as normal now.
    Let me know if you are still getting errors.
    Regards
    Dave

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mistletoe ring 003.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	4030

My favourite technique is piercing, so here is a sterling silver mistletoe ring where all the leaves are individually pierced out of sheet and soldered onto wire to form the stem, then brought together as a bunch, leading off the heavy shank. Each tiny berry is melted from offcuts of wire. In this ring there are four little gold berries nestling in there too.

It is really good to see the variety of technique used by us jewellers, all in the line of beauty! :-)