Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gluing sterling silver

Default Gluing sterling silver

Hello! I have made a bracelet out of sterling silver square wire and have threaded on a couple of 3mm sterling silver beads. What is the best way to secure these in place? I can only think of gluing them so if that is the best option can you please advise on best glue to use? Any suggestions welcome. Many thanks.

Ooh glue! Tssk!

It depends on the design of the bracelet and how the beads are attached. If you can take a photo and show us, we can advise you properly.

Hi Carole. Thanks for the reply. I have basically just threaded a piece of square 21 gauge half hard sterling wire through the hole in a 3mm sterling bead. The wire is one of 5 strands of wire with a bigger bead on the centre wire and with the four outside wires bent around it, forming a gentle, curved diamond shape. The silver beads are on the outside wires so are on the "points" of the diamond and will move down the wire if not secured in place. Hope that's clear! If not will post photo later. Many thanks.

I'm still not sure what you mean, but could you ball up the ends of the wires, thread the beads on and then attach the other end to the bracelet?

Will send a photo later! Thanks )

Photo attached showing the two silver beads above a central bead. I want to try to secure them in position so they don't slip down the wire. Any help appreciated. Many thanks, JayneClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Jamjar silver bracelet.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	4002

Quote Originally Posted by Jamjar View Post
    Photo attached showing the tingswo silver beads above a central bead. I want to try to secure them in position so they don't slip down the wire. Any help appreciated. Many thanks, JayneClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Jamjar silver bracelet.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	4002
    Well yes, they should have been soldered onto the wires before the wires were incorporated into your design. Jewellers hate and despise any suggestion that glue be used in this situation.

Too late now though, so you could move the silver beads aside, notch the wire slightly, apply a little glue with a needle or the end of a saw blade and then move the bead back into place. Any surplus must be removed at once and the best tool for that is a finger. The best glue is a rapid two part epoxy, such as Devcon 5minute epoxy, which they have at Cooksons. It needs to be mixed well to set reliably and I would mix with a plastic coffee stirrer on a square of that stiff clear packaging that some things are sold in.

Please don't say I advised this, as some of the members know where I live. By the way, it is a very handsome bracelet. Dennis.

I agree with Dennis, though it hurts to say so!! And it is a lovely bracelet.

Just to cover my shame and prove that I know about cold connections, here are two more acceptable ways to steady the beads, depending on available skills:

1. If the beads fit the wires quite well, raise spurs with a scorper on the inside of the bangle close to each side of the bead to keep it in place. OR
    2. Drill the wire each side of the bead and insert a rivet with a neat head already formed, which will be slightly proud to retain the bead.

Dennis.

Thanks so much Dennis and Carole for your help, and apologies Dennis for making you mention the dreaded "g" word!! I am very new to jewellery making (2 months) and this is my very first item of jewellery made with precious metal (50th birthday present for my sister-in-law) so I really appreciate the compliments. I will give the glue a go this weekend but will make sure I avoid all use and mention of glue in the future!! Thanks again.