Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gluing sterling silver

I just wanted to say that if you are making jewellery for 2 months only it's amazing piece of work! I know it will probably sounds unprofessional and it would changed the whole design but instead of gluing it maybe you could wrapped a two little layers of wire on each side of the bead? If you do it tight enough they shouldn't move....
    Babette

Ha, I've been thinking about that since my last post, but as loose wire tends to stretch in use, I thought it would eventually move. Of course I'm thinking of customers and their consumer rights, but if you keep it in the family, you can always have a second shot at it later. Dennis.

You might be right Dennis it might go lose, but I am doing it with square wire, after pulling it as hard as I can ( my poor fingers are cut from all of that lol and once I've managed to stab myself with a wire quiet deeply and , didn't felt anything, it's like I would play guitar for years! ) and after that I am squeezing the wire with my pilers. I don't know... It is a shame as it is a silver and starting from the begging or gluing it and risking that the glue is going to be visible would be a shame.....
    Babette

Thanks Babette for your help and ideas. I have been doing a lot of wire weaving too, and I know what you mean about wire injuries! Sometimes you have to suffer for your art!

It is true I am hoping that you've managed to sort it out?
    Babette

Not yet - am waiting for the glue Dennis recommended to arrive. I am then going to try it on some silver plated wire and see how it works before tackling the sterling silver bracelet! Watch this space ...

Well I tried the glue on the practice wire and the beads didn't hold that well and didn't want to risk spoiling the bracelet, so I came up with a slightly different solution - moved the beads to the outer part of that section of wire and bent the wire slightly to make a little buffer which holds them in place better. Have attached photo so you can see what I mean. Not perfect but the beads are a lot more secure than they were!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB030158.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	4016

I think it does look brill regardless where the beads are placed
    Babette

The best thing is that you were able to solve the problem yourself, proving that you're not just a pretty face (not that I thought you were).
    Dennis.