Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What am I making today?

normally yes I use paper and a glue and mostly the designs only need a little work with a file i never file the face of the silver but sand buff it

I always find that piercing through paper is never accurate enough for my type of work.

Here are some examples of my piercing.

James

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	146c Islamic prayer, Oman.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	4052

Name:	099d- Table centre 8 detail.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	4053Click image for larger version. 

Name:	099g- top detail of guilloche cone+piercing.jpg 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	4054Click image for larger version. 

Name:	099a- Table centre with RC.bowls set 8.jpg 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	4055Click image for larger version. 

Name:	196d Bowl overlay both sides.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	4056
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 17-11-2012 at 04:54 PM.

Some very nice designs james very ornate i guess they are for the middle east

Quote Originally Posted by davidbaggaley View Post
    Some very nice designs james very ornate i guess they are for the middle east
    The prayer was for The Sultan of Oman, but the table centrepiece with rock crystal bowls was made for a UK customer. The silver bowl piercings was something I did when testing out the Knew Concept saw frames, that is something that I kept for myself.

I did have a book published in 2009 if you are interested in seeing most of my best work.

James

Name:	Book cover JM Master Goldsmith 11,8,08.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	4057

They are very nice and i would imagine very expensive pieces quite a lot of hours would be needed to make those

What did you think to the new concept saws

I have seen quite a bit of your work on ganoskin very impressive :-)

Quote Originally Posted by davidbaggaley View Post
    They are very nice and i would imagine very expensive pieces quite a lot of hours would be needed to make those

What did you think to the new concept saws

I have seen quite a bit of your work on ganoskin very impressive :-)
    When I tested the Knew Concept saw frames for Lee Marshall, I wrote him a complete report explaining my likes and dislikes. Lee considered my comments and added the cam lever attachment to the saw frames and this makes the saw frames excellent. They are so light that I found them great when I was piercing some table lamp shades which had thousands of holes to pierce out. My favourite saw frame at the moment is my titanium model Knew Concept frame.
    Not everyone likes them, but when you reach my age they make long piercing jobs easier to handle. The last pair of table lamp shades I pierced took me 6 weeks solid piercing work to complete, they had a total of approximately 8000 holes to cut out.
    James

I will have to try the titanium ones i think as the the aluminium ones maybe a little too light for me yikes 8000 holes for 6 weeks would be a killer on ya arm and shows how good these are if the lever held up? Truely Awesome :-)

James your work always astonishes me! I love the silver bowl in the last pic.. beautiful work I am trying to practice my piercing techniques at the moment and I'm finding I'm getting better and better at it each time, lots more practice before I get anywhere close to your standard though! What mm sheet do you use most often?

Quote Originally Posted by solitarysmagick View Post
    James your work always astonishes me! I love the silver bowl in the last pic.. beautiful work I am trying to practice my piercing techniques at the moment and I'm finding I'm getting better and better at it each time, lots more practice before I get anywhere close to your standard though! What mm sheet do you use most often?
    For bowl overlay piercings I use 1mm thick sheet, the silver bowl piercing was for an overlay on a guilloche enamelled silver bowl, a method I have used successfully many times.

James

Name:	197f Silver bowl sheet.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	4059
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 082- 12 bowl Table set 4.jpg  

I've now got my smallest saw retrofitted with a cam lever - it makes one hell of a difference in piercing being able to reattach blades quickly. Cutting azures for stone settings meant I had switched back to my old saw; not since the change though.

Sorry to add to the questions James - do you drill for piercing with a motor or bow drill? Been using my bow drill again recently and finding it very relaxing.