Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A video of me handforing hot silver flatware

Default A video of me handforing hot silver flatware

This is a video of me handforging a sterling silver spoon on a anvil while hot

That's an interesting demo, thank you (although I haven't heard the audio yet - at work, got video but no sound). Not often you get to see people forging silver hot.

A few questions if I may... You're not going much beyond dull red by the looks of things (although cameras often lie); how bad is the firestain formation, and how hot is it by the end of the heat? Unless the anvil's warmed, I would have thought it would suck most of the heat out quite quickly. What weight is the hammer? It could just be foreshortening, but that looks like the sort of thing I'd be using to break down 1" steel stock!

I must repolish my square stake... Neither of my anvils are really suited to that work.

Fascinating to watch. You're very confident with that hammer. I wouldn't worry about the audio Peter unless you like hearing hammer blows!

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I wouldn't worry about the audio Peter unless you like hearing hammer blows!
    Music to my ears
    (or is it tinnitus?)

To watch a smith at work always mesmerises me. I have spent many years at the national and international farrier competitions, I always find it amazing to watch them take a piece of cold steel and create the most amazing customised horse shoes. At the end of the day there is always a free-style competition, where the farriers create a unique piece of art. It is wonderful to watch those forging skills on a piece of silver.
    Poor old Les

Hi

thankyou for your comments

The silver is taken to a cherry red colour the camera is telling porkies, I dont worry about about the fire stain as the entire piece is filed and sand buffed to remove it all, the starting weight of the spoon is about 3oz, I dont heat the anvil but it will become warm the silver is still very hot after forging but you stop when it becomes hard i normally forge 12 at a time doing one stage on each to keep them all the same etc

this picture is showing the stages on a table fork
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	262415_1894585856130_1246279_n.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	3984

Similar to Peter, the 2 things that struck me were the size/weight of the hammer and just how smooth and shiny your anvil is!!

Les, my brother was a farrier until his back gave out (the farriers' curse) a few years ago, he loved his forging and it was mesmerising to watch.....actually he created some beautiful work!!

Thee hammer is about 3lb and the anvil is cleaned with emery paper every 1 stage of 12 so about every 30mins never had any problem with my back but my shoulder and wrist will be a problem in future years i think

Your thread has drawn lots of interest David, so here are my questions too:

Could we have a picture of a finished spoon, or even place setting?
    Filing off fire scale is fine for the accessible places, but how do you do inside the bowls?

Thank you for your video, Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Your thread has drawn lots of interest David, so here are my questions too:

Could we have a picture of a finished spoon, or even place setting?
    Filing off fire scale is fine for the accessible places, but how do you do inside the bowls?

Thank you for your video, Dennis.
    I dont have a photo of these finished sorry

The fire stain is removed from the inside of the bowl by sand buffing which is a mixture of pumice and oil it can be done while flat or after bowling but normally after bowling

www.davidbaggaley.com