Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A video of me handforing hot silver flatware

It was the bending to get under horses and to their feet/hooves that did his back in, rather than the actual smithing!! Very tough end to something he loved............but he is now an engineer (unbelievable!!), I guess he now works with metals in other ways....

Quote Originally Posted by davidbaggaley View Post
    I dont have a photo of these finished sorry

The fire stain is removed from the inside of the bowl by sand buffing which is a mixture of pumice and oil it can be done while flat or after bowling but normally after bowling

www.davidbaggaley.com
    So, presumabely your starting metal thickness takes account of the loss incurred due to firestain too........I guess this must be fairly predictable?? (never is to me on small pieces.......but often one-offs and my skills just don't compare!!)........

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby66 View Post
    It was the bending to get under horses and to their feet/hooves that did his back in, rather than the actual smithing!!
    Hmph. Tell me about it... At least all 3 are tucked up & under cover at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby66 View Post
    So, presumabely your starting metal thickness takes account of the loss incurred due to firestain too........I guess this must be fairly predictable?? (never is to me on small pieces.......but often one-offs and my skills just don't compare!!)........
    yes you do have to allow for this i have been doing this for 20 years so quite used to it now

I've just had a look at your website David. Your stuff is lovely but why so cheap?

Hi
    my prices are trade i mostly sell to shops and are based on how long it takes to make them if you are looking at the charms and pendants they dont take me long to make and my overheads are quite low

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I've just had a look at your website David. Your stuff is lovely but why so cheap?
    My thoughts also Carole, I thought about the labour and polishing times added to the cost of silver and possibly VAT?, I assume that all items weigh less than the hallmark minimum otherwise there would also be hallmark costs, and he also offers free postage. Must be a very slim profit!!

James

If the item is a plain pendant say 25mm x 20mm and 1mm thick how much would you charge? and how many would you make in a hour

Ooh, I don't know. I don't make anything that plain - what would be the point? I think it's not really how many you can make in an hour but how many you can sell in an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    Ooh, I don't know. I don't make anything that plain - what would be the point? I think it's not really how many you can make in an hour but how many you can sell in an hour.
    Most of the pendants and charms on the website are designed to be quick to make and affordable i am very happy with what i charge and make enough money for my lifestyle etc