Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Methods of covering silver with gold

So...I'm going to try my hand at Keum Boo! Though I'm using gold leaf instead of foil and realise I will probably need to layer to get good results but that's fine. I'm curious, some people here have mentioned using a torch instead of hot plate. I haven't found this method in any of my books or online videos. I'm assuming you heat from underneath the piece then? I haven't bought the hot plate yet and not sure if it's necessary. They aren't expensive but I don't really have space to waste. There is another jewellery maker whom I really admire who often uses gold leaf on her pieces but puts them in a kiln instead of a hot plate (but I don't have one of those either!).

Another thing I'm wondering about, once you "Keum boo" an area, can you continue to do any soldering elsewhere or should the Keum boo be the last step in the design?

I just found this info, looks like I probably need to buy that hotplate: http://www.cooksongold.com/blog/jewe...focus-keum-boo

I have an old iron plate that I put on the hob, I did wonder about a flat griddle pan. I found that holding above a flame no bigger than a cooks torch so the wee Cookson handheld, moving it all the time does the job more quickly and as you say heat from underneath. I go between the torch and the plate for more complicated area.
    You have to do your soldering first or the gold will just melt into the silver especially if you are using leaf rather than foil. I had to use a few layers of foil in places to get the effect I wanted so not sure how the leaf will be but it's worth a try