Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bench peg/pin??

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    I would think you could use rexine or what the modern equivalent is, even denim would work. Its not as if you are getting hot things in it.
    You don't solder at your bench I assume?
    I've recently switched to doing so, and while I use a drawer it *has* to be heat-resistant for my sanity.

Hi there
    I made a skin to hang under the bench pin from an old leather jacket i got in a charity shop. Just cut the back off it. i think it cost me £5 as it was badly scuffed on the arms. I do drop hot things on it!
    Didi

It's a good idea to have a wipe-able surface. I have seen some at a college which are so filthy you might catch something off them and no one is responsible for cleaning them. Dennis.

Yes I do solder at my bench actually, but James told me of a good idea for keeping things where they are supposed to be. If you put your soldering block in a shallowish roasting tin, it catches things and stops them rolling or dropping onto the floor. I have a biscuit tin for mine and it works a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    You don't solder at your bench I assume?
    I've recently switched to doing so, and while I use a drawer it *has* to be heat-resistant for my sanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Yes I do solder at my bench actually, but James told me of a good idea for keeping things where they are supposed to be. If you put your soldering block in a shallowish roasting tin, it catches things and stops them rolling or dropping onto the floor. I have a biscuit tin for mine and it works a treat.
    That sounds a good idea - I shall have to see if I can make it work with the Benchmate. Possibly an additional catch-tray arrangement?

I didnt get the soldering stuff with my Benchmate, because I cant afford to drop my hot things on the floor, (very expensive carpet, covered up with a big Ikea rug, under where I work). It would be nice to have an area in the house that I could work without worrying, but short of a double garage which would be expensive to convert and heat, which I probably wouldnt use as much. So the answer is just to be a bit more careful.