Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Imbedded fine silver wire melts! Why? Please help.

Default Imbedded fine silver wire melts! Why? Please help.

Hello. I'm new to this forum, I hope someone can help me, I'm desperate for some advice.

I bought the Kate McKinnon book 'Sculptural Metal Clay' and followed the instructions in there that advise using 1mm+ fine silver wire imbedded into wet clay to create findings etc, and to fire at 899c. I fired a test piece that had 1mm piece of wire imbedded into it, but the whole thing melted. It was a new kiln and the digital display didn't seem to be working properly so I returned it for a replacement. I tested the new kiln today, it seems to be holding the temperature correctly. I fired a piece of 1mm and a piece of 2mm fine silver wire to test it. Within 30 mins both pieces were completely melted!

I don't know what I am doing wrong? I've read elsewhere that others imbed fine silver wire into their clay with no problems...please help! I really don't know what to try or what is causing the problem! Thank you

Fine silver has a melting point of 961c, which would suggest that your kiln controller is reading cooler than it actually is. Bear in mind that kilns do not have an even temperature throughout.

What type of kiln are you using? You may need to calibrate using a separate thermocouple with a digital readout and make the necessary adjustments to the controller temperatures after doing this.

Thank you so much for your reply!

That's why I'm so confused, because I'm setting it below the melting point of fine silver, and the digital controller reads at the temp I have set it to.

The kiln I have is from a website called technicalsupermarket.com and it's the R14-S Standard Table-Top Digital Kiln. I can't post a link but you will find it in google.

What you suggested about a thermocouple etc sounds a bit complicated for me perhaps? I'm new to all this, and presumed if the kiln sold to me said it would hold the temp I set it at within 2 degrees either side, It would do this??? So it seems the kiln is at fault again?

I feel I'll have a fight on my hands for a refund so disappointed as I saved for ages for that kiln, and can't afford to waste more materials in it.

Thank you for any help you can give

In honesty, it sounds like the temperature readout is quite a long way from the actual temperature - it's not like it's a couple of degrees, it's over 50, so yes, I think you need to go back to the supplier. The melting point of fine silver is a known quantity, so it's not as though there's a question of the temperature for that being wrong.

It's more of a concern for your metal clay, which is also fine silver, as at that level, you will constantly risk melting the whole piece rather than just firing it.

Hi George

Thank you for confirming that. Yes that's my thought too. I've emailed the store asking to return the kiln for a refund, but I know the first time I asked this, they said they don't offer refunds which is how I ended up with a replacement. I just hope they're fair about it, as it's the second kiln in 1 week I have had from them with the same problem, so a refund isn't an unreasonable request I feel - despite it not being their usual policy.

Otherwise, I'm stuck with a £250 kiln that I can't use and that I can't afford to replace...so disappointed.

Did you buy from a website? If so they are legally bound by the distance selling regulations and have to give a refund. no ifs ands or buts or their policy. It's a European union law

Really? That's good to know.

I bought the item from an ebay store, which is linked to their own online store. I bought the item on 30th sep and received it I think around 3rd Oct. I then about a week later tested it for first time and complained that it wasn't operating correctly (over firing) and asked for a refund as I didn't feel the item was as reliable as they stated. They said it's their policy not to offer refunds but will exchange. I thought it fair to accept that perhaps the first was damaged in transit as they suggested and received a replacement yesterday. However, the same problem with this one!

I'll look up the regulation and write a formal/legal letter if necessary, because I won't take kindly to losing £250! Thanks for the advice!

In the UK the sale of goods act is pretty clear about faulty goods. Doesn't matter what they say their policy is - if goods are faulty then you are entitled to a refund of all costs, including any postage.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1979/54

or, slightly easier to understand:-

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-righ...t/your-rights/

Don't let them fob you off with "its not our policy" ....

Susie

Quote Originally Posted by susieq View Post
    In the UK the sale of goods act is pretty clear about faulty goods. Doesn't matter what they say their policy is - if goods are faulty then you are entitled to a refund of all costs, including any postage.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1979/54

or, slightly easier to understand:-

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-righ...t/your-rights/

Don't let them fob you off with "its not our policy" ....

Susie

Thanks for the links - very helpful. Actually, I'm surprised at myself for accepting the exchange in the first place, normally I'm quite on the ball with these things. Think it's because I've had mortgage application problems going on at the same time, I'n just worn out! Anyway, I've used one of the templates, and it's ready to send. But I've emailed asking for a refund first, so I'll see what kind of response I get, then I can send it straight away if necessary to show them I mean business! They're actually breaching both the distance selling and sale of goods acts - cheek!

Hopefully I'll get my refund and can put the money towards a better more reliable kiln! Any ideas on what to invest in?

Thanks again to you all for your help

Dur I got so excited about the Distance selling regs I forgot all about the sale of goods act etc
    if they get shirty then don't get angry or anything, jsut say 'oh that's fine, I'll return the item anyway and then trot down to the county court and issue a writ for breach of the contract. You do realise you'll have all the court costs to pay too. don't you and your credit will be ruined if it goes to a judgement' (smile and hang up, wait for them to contact you)
    you could also point out that they can return the faulty item to their supplier for full refund too, the law protects them equally