Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opals

Default Opals

I have what I think is an opal. A friend dismantled her mothers jewellery when she passed away, and she said if I could use them do so. Well question is, the back of the opal has another white piece stuck on the back. Is it likely to be an opal, the coloured bit is about 1mm thick and the pie e stuck on the back looks like white stone.

It sounds like what is called an opal doublet or triplet, sometimes the lapidary who cut the original stone will adhere other coloured layers of stones to the rear of the opal to improve it's colours.
    See;http://geology.com/gemstones/opal/composite-opal.shtml

James

Yes its exactly like that. If I eventually set it and put it up for sale can I advertise it as opal.

Do you have a picture? I think as long as you say it is a doublet/triplet it should be ok, no?

Quote Originally Posted by LydiaNiz View Post
    Do you have a picture? I think as long as you say it is a doublet/triplet it should be ok, no?

Last edited by Patstone; 08-11-2015 at 06:43 PM.

Hard to tell Pat, but I think it's triplet, so some sort of protective top, opal layer and back layer on which the opal is sat and protected. definitely opal, just not sure if doublet or triplet from the images.

It's an opal doublet/triplet alright, even though the white backing is unusual. Just to put it into context, they are still widely available and small ones only cost three or four pounds each from AE Ward.This makes them good value.

Here is a blackened ring, with a mixture of triplets and white opals, scanned in from my photo album. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Opal Ring 2.jpg  
    Last edited by Dennis; 08-11-2015 at 11:13 PM.

If I decide to sell it what sort of value would the stone be worth, any ideas would be welcome. I have just measured it and it is 10 x 8mm, but its very thin, so it would need a slice of silver under the stone to bed it a bit higher. The whole thing feels like stone, not plasticy. I have several stones that I am not sure what they are, some are very similar structure but whiteish so they could also be opals. Looking at the picture in the magazine that James sent me a link to, it looks more like doublet as it is very thin.
    Last edited by Patstone; 09-11-2015 at 07:32 AM.

looks like three layers to me.

My grandfather was an opal prospector, so I have TONS of these things. they're beautiful, even if not so valuable. Sometimes they can be a bit fragile around the edges.

Any idea of value please.