Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orca torch

Default Orca torch

I think I have probably made a mistake by buying an Orca from an ebay shop following a recommendation.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ORCA-Hand-...26ao%3D1%26asc

The gas bottle connection doesn't fit UK bottles and I would like to know what is the best and least expensive solution. I know Suttons sell a connector for Mapp gas bottles and wonder whether this is all I need or whether the connection at the end of the hose won't work with this. Ideally I would like to connect it to refillable butane bottles. If I have to buy a new hose and connector it will cost almost as much as the original torch. I now wish it would have been better to have bought it from Walsh's in the first place.

Does anyone have any experience of these torches or have any solutions?

The Walsh version doesn't come with a hose at all, so you'd be no better off in honesty.

You can either just replace the bottle connector with the right one for you (I use a quick change as I keep one propane bottle for several torches), or get the adapter to use it with a MAPP cannister, which has the slight advantage of being more portable, and which runs a fair bit hotter. I don't use large cannister butane at all, but I imagine it works in the same way as propane.

I find hamilton gas (www.gasproducts.co.uk) pretty good for these types of fitting, and always include a flashback arrestor and regulator in the line.

I have a couple of orca's, and they're one of my favourite torches.

Thanks George. My concern is making sure all the different fittings fit together Ok. I'm guessing that it's a 5mm hose and so the suppliers ought to be able to advise me. If you have already gone through this and can let me know without going to too much trouble any serial numbers, brands, sizes or anything that would be great. Does the regulator need to be high or low pressure? I watched the video on the Suttons site and they don't seem to use a regulator or flashback arrestor but I guess it's best to play it safe.

Many thanks again.

While we are on the subject of gas etc. Is there any difference between Propane and Butane. I bought a Sievert type handpiece and the gas company that I bought it from supplied me with the gas. I have no flashback arrester or anything like that attached to the bottle, do I need it.

Flashback arrestors are really only needed if you're running oxy/fuel mixes - with fuel/air mix torches (like Sievert) they aren't required (there's no way to have combustion in the fuel line as there's no way to get oxygen in). Note that this is NOT the same for fuel/compressed air torches like the Flamefasts, they should have them fitted.
    http://www.bullfinch-gas.co.uk/index...emart&Itemid=5

That said, I do run a hose burst device on mine. The idea is that a sudden pressure release causes a shutoff valve to trigger; it's generally pretty good so long as I don't try to immediately run a torch flat out, but gradually raise the pressure.

Butane cylinders as supplied by Calor & similar use a male thread on the cylinder, while propane cylinders use a female thread with a bull-nose connector (POL).
    Last edited by ps_bond; 21-10-2012 at 03:26 PM.

So the gas on the inside is the same, its just the fitting that screws the other way. Not sure what a bullnose connector is tho.

Nope, butane (C4H10) and propane (C3H8) are different gases.

You can see some lline drawings of gas fittings here -
    http://www.bes.co.uk/products/063.asp

(Actually, it's probably their valve I've got fitted)

How do I know which one to use please. Does one burn hotter or run with something else, or doesnt it matter. My cooks torch I use a butane refill with, well its lighter fuel anyway.

Initially, I'd have immediately said propane for a Sievert. The kits I've seen have been supplied with POL fittings for propane and I've always just used that for this sort of application.
    Having said that, http://www.sievert.se/upload/File/Gl...lsk%202010.pdf has some interesting bits in it; they seem to suggest that butane is OK for a Sievert torch on LPG. But... It's not so good at low temperatures as it doesn't go back to its gaseous state.

Now that I think of it, I don't think I've seen a high pressure butane regulator - only the 37mBar ones.

At this point I'd suggest talking to Sievert or someone like Hamilton gas.

I use a 0-4 bar regulator (0-2 is plenty, but I use the other torches as well which need a higher flow). I have a flashback arrestor, but mainly because I also use torches with oxygen (albeit from a concentrator rather than bottled) and have always thought it's safer. I've heard too many horror stories not to - and they're not expensive.

I use propane mainly because my tanks live outside, and it's more stable at lower temperatures. Butane isn't happy once it's very cold, and although it can burn a little cleaner, just doesn't work well in the winter. It's very easy to get hold of - I have a couple of 6kg cylinders, as well as an 11kg and a 19kg, and these are just swapped out when I need a refill. They're the red calor or flogas ones.

When I set up my orca, I just cut off the supplied connector (gas end) and replaced it with a quick release valve held in place by a lemon clip. It was a very tight fit (took a bit of hot water soaking to get it in) but it doesn't seem to have damaged the hose at all. It was easier than trying to source a torch end convertor to replace the hose. I have a separate hose and adapter for MAPP which I got from Suttons - not particularly cheap (even after discount), but well worth it for a portable and slightly hotter option.

I still use handhelds for the vast majority of jobs, however, as I prefer the freedom of not having a hose to get in the way!