Thread: A Questoin For The Week End.

Default A Questoin For The Week End.

I have thought of a project for which I would like to use 9ct gold wire, but ideally it would be green(ish). Is there such a thing? Dennis.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I have thought of a project for which I would like to use 9ct gold wire, but ideally it would be green(ish). Is there such a thing? Dennis.
    Hi Dennis, sounds interesting. I have only seen the 18ct on Cookies... could you bring the carat down. Would you have to have green solder?

Wallace

Dennis,
    I have used what they call green gold many times during my career, it has always been 18ct though, to be honest calling it green gold is a bit off as it is really just a pale yellow. I have made my own in the past, based on an alloy of 75% fine gold and 25% fine silver, companies used to add cadmium but not since cadmium was found to be very toxic when heated. I had to make golds to match decorations on certain Faberge restoration jobs that I did in the past, in my experience 18ct. green gold needs to be used against red and white gold to appear to be green.
    I have never tried 9ct. green though, which would probably have to be an alloy of 37.5% fine gold to 62.5% fine silver.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    Dennis,
    I have used what they call green gold many times during my career, it has always been 18ct though, to be honest calling it green gold is a bit off as it is really just a pale yellow. I have made my own in the past, based on an alloy of 75% fine gold and 25% fine silver, companies used to add cadmium but not since cadmium was found to be very toxic when heated. I had to make golds to match decorations on certain Faberge restoration jobs that I did in the past, in my experience 18ct. green gold needs to be used against red and white gold to appear to be green.
    I have never tried 9ct. green though, which would probably have to be an alloy of 37.5% fine gold to 62.5% fine silver.

James
    That is really helpful James,
    could I ask about some clarity about the solder, if you wouldn't mind replying?

Thanks,
    Wallace

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    That is really helpful James,
    could I ask about some clarity about the solder, if you wouldn't mind replying?

Thanks,
    Wallace
    Hi Wallace,
    I only use 18ct solders for this type of work,I use 18ct.Yellow, Hard & Medium grades for soldering green golds. Usually when I use green gold it is for carved leaf work soldered onto a red gold bezel, such as the middle wires on these type of miniature egg pendants.

James

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WG Mini eggs.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	3898

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    Hi Wallace,
    I only use 18ct solders for this type of work,I use 18ct.Yellow, Hard & Medium grades for soldering green golds. Usually when I use green gold it is for carved leaf work soldered onto a red gold bezel, such as the middle wires on these type of miniature egg pendants.

James

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WG Mini eggs.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	3898
    Beautiful as always. thank you for sharing the information.
    Much appreciated,
    Wallace

Thanks for your reply, James. In view of what you say I shall probably give up on the green idea. The request I have is for a stacked ring in tarnished gold with small green stones.

I did not loose my rag and shout 'the whole point of gold is that it stays bright'. Hence the 9ct, which I shall patinate lightly with noxious chemicals.
    I just thought a green tinge to the gold would make it more interesting.

I hope to post the results here in about a month. Regards, Dennis.