Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Approaching shops/galleries?

Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    Ooh, that sounds really fun - kinda scary though. Does it get really crowded in Greenwich market?
    It's heaving on Sundays, but I usually work every Friday and Saturday and only the occasional Sunday which isn't so bad. It can be fun, but it's hard work and a long day, especially when it's one where the traders outnumber the customers.
    Kym

I'm hoping for world peace but I'd also like something shiny as well...

www.kymbigwood.com

Just don't turn up in a gallery on spec. Some prefer printed material...perhaps send them a couple of postcards that they can look at quickly with a price scale to see if your work fits. Then do a follow up call and ask if you can make an appointment to show them your work.....
    make sure you have a wholesale price list ready, be aware most galleries now work on sale or return......be aware it is not unknown for galleries to go bust and you not get your stock back or payment (like Jesse James)
    Emma

Question advice needed on selling my pieces in a shop

Hi All,

I've been approached by a friend of a friend, who is setting up a new shop and is interested in selling my jewellery. To say I'm a bit unsure is an understatement!

How on earth do I go about this and are there any other pitfalls that might not have been covered before, that anyone could mention. I normally just use silver oval labels on my jewellery, use organza bags and boxes for my more expensive pieces. The first thing I can think of is that before I def. confirm, I'd like to go and have a look, but first they will pop round to view my stuff.

Any tips, advice, would be greatly appreciated

thanks
    Julesx

1st thing to figure out is how you are going to charge for your pieces, are they going to sell for your price and then pay you a discounted range or are you going to rent space in their shop and you get all the money your pieces make?

If your not sure of selling constantly then the discounted way might be best but renting space has some appeal as you know for sure you get all the profit but if you don't sell anything that months the space costs you in rent... it's not a guarenteed method but it is the one that's easiest to budget for in my opinion.
    Goodbye

Jules, you need to come up with a wholesale price for your pieces - one that still makes you enough profit, and ask them to buy them in.

Sale or return/shelf space is a nightmare. You have no guarantee how well they will care for or display pieces, very little comeback if they are 'lost', and none at all if they stop trading for any reason.

If somebody likes your jewellery enough to want to sell it, then they should be happy to buy it, and pay for it up front. That's a very basic premise. Once they own it, it's up to them how they chose to price, label and package things. If you use 'branded' boxes, you may wish to supply these, simply for the extra publicity.

Imagine if any other sort of store were to try this approach!

The exception to this is if you can get pieces into a good gallery, where all artists are treated alike, or if you have a cabinet (or similar) in a good salon etc. These are far more under your control, and are generally experienced in working this way - no different to any of the big selling sites.

Good luck!

Hiya George,
    I'd also pm'd you too.... that's very useful stuff and I'll keep all that in mind.

cheers
    Jules x

V.Good advice MzG

A lot of galleries I have encounterd lately have asked me to pay a monthly fee to exhibit my work in them. Like taking the SOR model and making it even more risk to the artist!

don't worry about packaging most galleries supply their own.
    Em