Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Approaching shops/galleries?

Smile Approaching shops/galleries?

This is yet another part of the jewellery world which I have improvised, I have tried several different angles, but I think I will try sending a disk (of images) and a letter next time and see how that fares. How does everyone else approach shops/galleries?? What is the most professional way??

this is a very good question for wen i can do more
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

When you do a lot of shows some galleries will approach you, which makes life a lot easier. I hate approaching galleries myself.

Jewellery is very competitive and I think the photogallery on disk is an excellent idea. I have to admit that it was my husband who approached galleries on behalv with my wood - I don't have the confidence in my work. Without fail the galleries were kind and any criticism was constructive. In the event I was only turned down by one gallery and that was because their stuff was more 'high' art.

Some galleries will ask that you work on a rota basis and will display your work 'free.' I did this in a local gallery, working every other Saturday. For some folk this could work quite well - especially if you don't have a full time job.
    Di x

I've not yet managed to approach any galleries or shops because I am just too scared. Don't know why because I've managed to sell my jewellery in Greenwich craft market 2 days a week for 4 years, but the thought of walking into a shop or gallery just fills me with fear

Any tips gratefully received...
    Kym

I'm hoping for world peace but I'd also like something shiny as well...

www.kymbigwood.com

Quote Originally Posted by kymbi View Post
    I've not yet managed to approach any galleries or shops because I am just too scared. Don't know why because I've managed to sell my jewellery in Greenwich craft market 2 days a week for 4 years, but the thought of walking into a shop or gallery just fills me with fear

Any tips gratefully received...
    Braver than me i am scared of selling full stop lol
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

I think they are two different markets, shops or galleries. Galleries are generally but not all a 'selection' process and shops are take it on if they like it. When looking for new shops I go and have a wander round an area and if I find a shop I like I hang around in it for a while to see what the staff, stock and general feel of the place is. If I think it would be a good mutual relationship I then approach them and ask them if they are interested, making an appointment to go back. I have been into many shops where the 'feel' is just not right. The best way is to decide where your designs will fit best and have a chance of selling the most. There are 'professional' ways that can be very expensive ie; jewellery fairs and they are good as mentioned for people coming to you but there is no guarantee that you will sell anything. The professionalism comes with business cards, stock numbers, delivery notes, consistant pricing and invoices.
    Paula

Don't be scared. Any gallery that you'd like to be in (ie friendly) would be kind and either let you down gently or take your stuff. Ask around to find friendly galleries. I've only ever been turned down by one gallery and they were very nice about it.

Quote Originally Posted by kymbi View Post
    Don't know why because I've managed to sell my jewellery in Greenwich craft market 2 days a week for 4 years,

Ooh, that sounds really fun - kinda scary though. Does it get really crowded in Greenwich market?

If I am able to pop in, I'll go maybe wearing a couple of pieces to quickly show them, if they like the pieces I make an appointment to go back with more work.

If there is no chance of me getting to the gallery/shop, I give them a ring to see how they prefer work to be submitted.
    They normally ask to be emailed a few photos and prices.
    You may have to follow up with another call as they might not get back to you otherwise.

Generally I've found people very approachable and polite - there is nothing to be scared about really. They seem to genuinely enjoy looking at the work.