Thread: First tutorial: silver charm project for beginners

Default First tutorial: silver charm project for beginners

Hi all,

I just posted my very first tutorial on my blog – featuring a geometric silver charm project that’s suitable for people just starting to learn silversmithing techniques. Hopefully this is the right place for this thread (maybe a mod will let me know whether this should be in the ‘website/blog’ section)…

http://springjewellery.blogspot.co.u...ric-charm.html

I would really love some feedback in terms of whether the steps are clearly explained, whether there are any other handy tips or info I should also include, whether the amount / size of photos could be improved (more / less / showing specific steps I didn’t include).

I went for a simple project that wasn’t too challenging to start with, to test the waters, but want to work up to some tutorials on more advanced and difficult techniques / projects. Any ideas for tutorials would be very welcome! If you would like a step-by-step guide on any particular techniques, I can certainly attempt it – I’d also be interested in having any guest bloggers contribute to a tutorial / tips post too, just let me know 

Hello Spring,
    First good luck with your tutorials, you ask for some feedback so may I give you a couple of suggestions. I am glad to see that you use a Knew Concept saw frame.
    The first thing I noticed with your photos is that you pierced the outer shape of the pendant first. When piercing items I would always pierce the inside holes out first and for 0.5mm. thick silver I would use finer saw blades, such as a 4/0. Piercing the inner holes first means that you have plenty of metal to hold while manipulating the sheet, both for piercing and also if you need to do any filing on the inner pierced holes, I would pierce out the outer shape last.
    Second suggestion is that your photos seem to show that you pierce down the bench peg, away from your face, I would suggest that you try piercing across the bench peg,at right angles to your face, if you are right handed piercing from right to left across the bench peg V slot. I was taught that it is better to see where the blade is going, rather than where it has been.
    Finally if you are showing beginners how to use a file, show that you use the end of the bench peg as a support when filing edges flat.
    I hope you do not think I am being critical but I love piercing and am quite good at it. I like to pass on my expertise when possible. If you want to see some of my piercing I have an album on this site, just click my tab goldsmith, also the silver bowl piercings shown on the Knew Concepts website is my work, see ; http://www.knewconcepts.com/

James

Hi James, thanks very much for your really insightful comments and suggestions! I’ve seen your work before and it’s completely amazing, so I really appreciate your seasoned advice – and not at all on the critical side. I especially love your silver bowl!

It’s all a learning process for me and my blog is my way of expressing that, so I’m comfortable that any tutorials I write will probably have a bunch of holes and ways to improve the methods – it’s really handy having a peer review in that sense. I’m going to edit my tutorial post with these tips above as ‘best practice’ in piercing.

Interesting second suggestion – I’ve never seen anyone pierce across the bench peg like that – would’ve thought it might be an awkward angle to hold? Is it just something to get used to?

Hi Spring,
    When piercing I move the saw frame into different angles all the time, and pierce in all directions, but when piercing flat objects piercing across the peg will allow you to see where you are piercing more clearly, please give it a try, I have been piercing this way for over 50 years.
    Lee Marshall asked me to make a video to show my piercing, something I will have a go at when I can.
    James

Will definitely give it a go! Would love to see a video if you decide to make it

Yes and me.

Quote Originally Posted by springeth View Post
    Will definitely give it a go! Would love to see a video if you decide to make it

Ditto re the video x
    Pauline x

And me please!