Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: joining gold and silver wire

As a bit of a serial lurker on here I say please keep up the tangents!
    I haven't contributed much as I don't really have the knowledge to (I was fairly certain you could solder silver to gold but wouldn't have known to say no to borax) but I'm learning loads from just 'eavesdropping'. So, please, keep up the hard work on going off topic and educating the lurkers :-)

Nammie
    Last edited by nammie; 27-09-2012 at 12:27 PM.

yay for lurkers and hijacks!

the advantage of having little knowledge is that you can create new knowledge by asking the right questions

Just to add to the thread, I am sure that these new fluxes are OK, but I have never had any problems using a plain Borax cone and water as a flux when soldering gold to silver.
    I have some silversmith friends who use a Borax cone and meths as a flux,they say this limits any bubbling up of their flux.
    As I usually use clamps when soldering any bubbling of the flux does not effect my soldering joints.

James

That's good to know James. I do have some oroflo I think it is, but the times I tried it with gold and silver not much happened, but then I was pretty inexperienced at the time and my soldering has improved somewhat!

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    Just to add to the thread, I am sure that these new fluxes are OK, but I have never had any problems using a plain Borax cone and water as a flux when soldering gold to silver.
    I have some silversmith friends who use a Borax cone and meths as a flux,they say this limits any bubbling up of their flux.
    As I usually use clamps when soldering any bubbling of the flux does not effect my soldering joints.

James

James,

I have to say i agree, i have tried several of them, and just end up going back to the cone. One thin i do have which i am afraid i have only found in one shop in the NL is a marble dish which is so much nicer to use that the ceramic one and creates a good paste in seconds.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	import_2512_0814232_1_190px_190px.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	2.9 KB 
ID:	3877