Thread: Goldsmith's Fair '12, Week One.

Default Goldsmith's Fair '12, Week One.

I have just come back from Goldsmith's Hall, but found it more than ever like a trip to Harrods, or a walk down Bond Street and less how I like it. The effect was much like eating a large colourful jelly with added piped cream.

I did note the work of Hee Young Kim, though. If you can bear to turn the pages of her website, you will know what I mean:http://www.heeyoungkimjewellery.com/...n_Project.html.

I also made a point of looking at the wrapped rings of Disa Allsopp as they were discussed on the other forum recently. They are certainly very attractive and demonstrate that random designs still have to be carefully controlled. It is not obvious from pictures that the wire used has been rolled to only 0.3mm, or less.

Dennis.

Thanks for that Dennis. I haven't started the ring yet, so that's useful info.

I know what you mean about Goldsmiths. There's so much really expensive stuff that you feel a bit overwhelmed by it all.

why do people make these awful slow sites? but it is lovely stuff. With Carole on the useful info on the allsopp rings, I'm going to have a go at a couple as gifts for christmas.

Huh, she even made a necklace like my bracelet, (dont suppose she copied me, because mine started life a bit different and I rescued what I could to make a bracelet out of it). Mine started out like a link of silver paper clips, but I hammered them to add texture and then they wouldnt hold the shape very tight, so I cut off the bendy bits and soldered them together like links.

I can understand why Dennis likes the work of Hee Young Kim, it's beautifully engineered and that is quite often how I think of Dennis' work. I actually find Dennis more fluid and attractive though and, although I note the brilliant workmanship of this lady (is it a lady?) aesthetically it isn't for me.

I'm pleased to hear that the Disa Allsopp rings add up to more than a sum of their parts, cos I always get a bit irritated by pieces that hit the current Zeitgeist without too much effort having been used.

I don't know where those words came from, I must have slept with a dictionary under me pillow!
    Di x

You're very kind Di, but I don't really think I can be mentioned in the same breath as someone who exhibits at Goldsmniths Hall. I started this as an antidote to retirement and what I make is meant to be worn to the office (or to the office party) not to the Garden Parties they have down the road from me. Regards, Dennis.

That's as may be, Dennis, but a) your standard of work is far above that of the regular hobbyist and b) I genuinely prefer your pieces!
    Last edited by Di Sandland; 27-09-2012 at 12:14 AM. Reason: aberrant apostrophe
    Di x

My brother-in-law, who hasnt seen any of my mediochre attempts at jewellery, bought a pendant necklace for my sister-in-law back a few months ago, and paid over £300 for it and it was an upsidedown wishbone with an ameythst bead on a cross wire. Cost :- about 8cm of 1mm wire and about 2mm of thinner wire for the crosspiece, bead approximately £5, but he is well known. His name is what costs, and I have seen some of the pics that Dennis makes and his is just as good.