Thread: Title

Default Title

Can someone tell me apart from the obvious what is the difference between a goldsmith and a silversmith. Someone told me that a silversmith in days gone by, used to make cutlery and a goldsmith makes jewellery both in gold and silver.

Pat,
    These days workers within the trade call themselves whatever they want. Usually because most young workers today are college trained rather than apprentice trained. In my day when I was apprenticed my paperwork stated what section of the trade would be my title. My paperwork states that I am a goldsmith but I can make almost anything in precious metals, although my silversmithing standards would not be the same as those of a trained silversmith. When I have entered the annual Goldsmith's Craft Council Competition the section that I entered is called Smallwork section, which is a good description of my type of work which is small gold and silver work rather than jewellery. Within the trade a jeweller is not the same as a goldsmith and a cutler is not the same as a silversmith.
    Within the trade we have many skill titles. These include, goldsmiths, silversmiths, cutlers, metal spinners, jewellery mounters, stone setters, chasers, engravers, enamellers, engine turners, polishers and platers, electroformers, laser workers, casters, wax modellers, antique restorers and so on. This is one reason why the general terms of goldsmiths and silversmiths are used.

Probably too much information, sorry:-)
    James

Hi James
    I only make jewellery and sterling silver is my choice, mainly because of the price of gold. So although I am still only quarter way up the learning curve, can I call myself a silversmith.. Reason I ask, is that when filling out some of the paperwork required by the bank etc. they asked for my job title, and I dont have one, I am not really an owner either as my daughter is in with me, both when we have the time. Who said you have plenty of time when you retire should be shot, I dont know how I found the time to work full time.

Hi Pat,
    To my bank and the taxman I am a listed as designer and manufacturer of metal ornaments, this says what I do without giving too much detail to strangers.

James