Thread: Enamelling on copper with a butane torch.

Default Enamelling on copper with a butane torch.

Has anyone tried this please and was it successful? Any help appreciated as would love to have a go but too scared to get a big torch! thanks

What sort of torch were you meaning Debs (sorry if that's not your name)? You can torch fire enamel on copper quite successfully but if you counter-enamel you may burn it. Having said that, firing the front of the piece sometimes gives some quite interesting effects, so it may be worth a try. If you're intending to use a hand-held torch, it may only work on small pieces, so you may need something with a bit more oomph!

Hi just a hand held butane torch just wondered if it would get hot enough? Ta

I've just started torch firing and it works absolutely wonderfully for me. I use a Clarke hand held butane torch and it definitely reaches high enough temperatures. I figured if I used it for melting down scrap, it must be fine for torch firing enamel too as jewellery enamels inevitably fire at a lower temperature than the metals melting point. I enamel mainly on sterling & fine silver but use copper to practice different techniques. Just invest in some good enamelling supplies. I bought a few different sized trivets and some stainless steel mesh/screen from Cooksons. I clip the stainless steel mesh onto a third hand and elevate it about 10cm above a charcoal/soldering block and direct the flame from underneath. Works a charm

I use Klyr Fire solution (partially diluted with water) then sift on the powdered enamel (I use WG Ball lead free enamels, if you're torch firing I'd steer clear of lead bearing ones), leave to dry for a few moments then fire from underneath until the enamel fuses and goes all glossy.

The only thing to watch out for is that some colours can go a bit muddy with butane (and even with ordinary propane). An oxypropane lampwork torch is ideal, or a plumbers type using MAPP gas (which burns hotter and cleaner).

Thanks SO much! x

Hi Silken do you use 60 or 80 please as no idea what the difference is, Many thanks Deb

I use 60 mesh enamel powders, these are the jewellery enamels that WG Ball supply. The number refers to the size of the enamel particles. 60 mesh is large, whereas 200 is tiny particles of enamel. You use different particle sizes for different applications but for basic enamelling the 60 mesh size works fine for me! I'm no expert but I'm certainly having fun already. You just need to make sure that you get an enamel sieve to match the particle size of the enamel you're sifting. I use little sifter tubes with lids that I got online and store the enamel in them then switch the lid on the tube for the sifter lid (provided with the tubes) and away I go. Easy to store and super easy to sift, especially on small pieces. If you haven't already got it, I'd definitely recommend getting 'The Art of Enamelling' By Linda Darty. It's a great book even for total beginners and gives you tips on torch firing and kiln firing.

You can buy the WB Ball enamel from Cookson's but I buy it directly from WG Ball themselves. Just be wary as the colour swatches on their website aren't that true to the product but their enamels seem to work perfectly for me.

My advice is to buy a few small amounts of different coloured powders (plus some clear 'flux' enamel), both opaque and transparent, and experiment and make some swatches. I spent about 15 quid on my first batch and got about 8 different colours to experiment with. Buy the smallest amount possible at first (25g) just to test them and practice. The colour can appear quite different on copper and transparent enamels aren't anywhere near as brilliant in colour as they are on fine silver but you can get some beautiful results. I love the opaque lavender blue that they supply and the transparent ruby red colour.

Hope this helps! Like I said, I am no expert but this is just what I have learned since I first started (only a couple of weeks ago). It's definitely addictive.

Thanks Silken!! I'm sure I will soon be addicted lol! x