Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie needing some advice re learning about silver

Coming from a background in disability studies, I'm horrified that you got thrown off your course. It's illegal for one thing.

How does that apply in adult eduation, I understand the protection one has as an employee I didn't know that there was anything in terms of being a student?

I like the gas stove idea, hubby asked why I couldn't use that and I didn't know. Am busy doing a lot of reading an watching videos!

I used this site http://www.metalclay.co.uk/pages/Learn-more.html to find out about using the stove and I got some of my basic tools from them too - I think I bought a starter pack which included mesh/tools etc.
    Anne

Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
    Blog: http://www.whiteoakjewellery.blogspot.com/

Hi Palo,
    As Toni has suggested, don't discount making rings, it is possible to buy the blanks and then add your own work and design to it! Good luck with the precious metal clay or whatever you decide to pursue!! Let us know what you're up to

Wow, I can't believe they kicked you off. Obviously I don't know exactly what your medical problems are but if there is a will, there is a way! I am from a medical/laboratory background and got into silversmithing a few years ago as a hobby but I have started to do it more as a profession now. I have physical condition that can effect me quite severely but I can tell you now, making jewellery is more therapeutic with regards to my condition than the medication that's meant to control it! There are many times you will need to use a great deal of manual dexterity & apply strength but there are ways to get around it. First of all, I work mainly on small pieces and the soldering time is minimal. I have the torch in my hand for maybe a minute, depending on the complexity of the piece. I cannot honestly see why you would not be able to do it. My honest advice would be to invest in some basic equipment and try it for yourself. I am entirely self taught, mainly through books and the internet, and the learning process is very liberating. Don't think that just because the course wouldn't accept you that you can't do it. You can!

It strikes me as discriminatory to dismiss you from the course because of your problem. Employers and education providers have an obligation to make their services accessible to people with physical or mental disabilities and can break the law if they don't provide equal opportunities but I am not 100% sure of the law surrounding this. Either way, please don't let it hold you back

Quote Originally Posted by palo View Post
    How does that apply in adult eduation, I understand the protection one has as an employee I didn't know that there was anything in terms of being a student?
    it's discriminatory. doesn't matter if you are an employee, student or customer, they can't boot you off a course unless they can clearly demonstrate that you would be a danger to yourself or others and that reasonable accommodation would not be possible. If you know when you are going to lose muscle control, I don't see what the issue is beyond the fact that they'd need to let you have frequent breaks and give you more time to complete projects. I taught at degree level until last year and if we had chucked a student off a course on the grounds of impairment we'd have been sued and quite rightly so.

Well they can't clearly demonstrate it, however it can be sudden and unstoppable, in 13 years since being diagnosed I have fallen over a few times, but have never hurt myself or others. I do have some warning but I can't always warn others (also lose ability to speak and worst case eyes close over too). I always try to manage myself to minimise this happening when I am out and don't go out when I am at risk.

However I can only fight so many battles at a time, and I don't know if I want to take this on, I kinda feel if the teacher doesn't want me it is his loss and to his discredit. i also have the local authority wanting to double the primary school I live next too, increasing traffic choas and parking/ access problems outside my house and am slowly recovering from my latest relapse (which has been very taxing) and continues to provide many challenges.

I had been really looking forward to this as something to motivate and inspire me at a difficult time, so it is a blow, I know how therapeutic something like this can be and enables one to forget the little things in life, maybe when things are quieter I will look into this again and how to challenge this and move this forward. In the meantime I will see what I can do at home.

Thank you very much for your advice and support.
    Last edited by palo; 23-09-2012 at 05:24 PM.

I am sure you will do many things at home once you find your feet, I have only been making jewellery for two years and frankly considering I am self taught ( bar the help I have found on this forum and, youtube and trial and error) I think I have done rather well, and you will too :0)

Quote Originally Posted by palo View Post
    Well they can't clearly demonstrate it, however it can be sudden and unstoppable, in 13 years since being diagnosed I have fallen over a few times, but have never hurt myself or others. I do have some warning but I can't always warn others (also lose ability to speak and worst case eyes close over too). I always try to manage myself to minimise this happening when I am out and don't go out when I am at risk.

However I can only fight so many battles at a time, and I don't know if I want to take this on, I kinda feel if the teacher doesn't want me it is his loss and to his discredit. i also have the local authority wanting to double the primary school I live next too, increasing traffic choas and parking/ access problems outside my house and am slowly recovering from my latest relapse (which has been very taxing) and continues to provide many challenges.

I had been really looking forward to this as something to motivate and inspire me at a difficult time, so it is a blow, I know how therapeutic something like this can be and enables one to forget the little things in life, maybe when things are quieter I will look into this again and how to challenge this and move this forward. In the meantime I will see what I can do at home.

Thank you very much for your advice and support.
    uh huh, well with all the victimisation of disabled people going on with ATOS not to mention the way it has spilled into the media and public, it's wise to pick your battles, or, to use spoon theory, save some spoons up.

Like Kwant says, you can learn much from books, youtube and forums, so that is a good way to get started. The book I used first off was the tim creighton (spelling?) one. very basic but good clear pictures and explanations. I'm planning on getting the anastasia young one next, when i have more time to play in the workshop.

Palo, I have an incurable and painful disease that flares and and recedes too. It does not sound so dramatic as your own problems but it is severe and limiting. However, it is not as limiting as other people would like to believe. I can, and do, lots of things. There are times, like right now, when I simply can't work in the workshop and I feel quite bereft, I would rather experience these feeling of loss, however, than sit moping around and not do anything. My time in the workshop is, as you say, so therapeutic and it takes my mind of the concerns associated with my condition. And now I've even found something to fill the non-workshop hours - I knit! I am very lucky because lots of people with my diagnosis lose the use of their hands, either temporarily or permanently, whereas I'm very lucky and can still do quite fine things with mine - mainly it's my legs that are the problem and, of course, I knit sitting down!

I understand why you don't want to take on a fight at the moment. For me, however, kicking against the pricks that would do me down is also very therapeutic!

I wish you well - go for it!
    Di x