Thread: Newbie needing some advice re learning about silver

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Newbie needing some advice re learning about silver

Hi,

I am newbie to this forum and want to work with silver. I have done some jewellery making for the past 4 years but very amateur hobbyist I would say. i had booked onto a 1 year silversmithing course in Birmingham, but got chucked off after the first enrolment session because i explained I have certain challenges when it comes to dealing with things. The medical condition I have, which I won't bore you with, means that I have to manage myself very carefully and do risk losing muscle control at times, however this is never without warning and I generally manage it very well, after 13 years I have had a fair bit of practice, as you can imagine.

Now if silversmithing is too dangerous for me, is precious metal clay a feasible option. This is something I have wanted to do for a number of years, and frankly I was gutted when I was asked to not to attend, I know this is not beyond me and I have frankly dealt with far bigger challenges, could anyone suggest any precious metal clay books or silversmithing books to get me started, and perhaps in the future I can look at my budget again and see if I can afford a non adult education course where they may be prepared to teach me!

Thank you, sorry for the long opening post, I am not normally so garrulous, but felt I had to explain.

Sorry to clarify my requirements, I do have weaker hands and arms than probably normal people so heavy and standard size tools are not really very good for me, although I find the travel size or mini sizes ideal and easy to work with.
    Last edited by palo; 19-09-2012 at 04:40 PM.

Hi Palo, sorry to hear your plans were scuppered. From what you have said, the metal clays, would present very few problems for you as the tools can be lightweight, with little or no need for cutting or drilling. Torch firing may present you with difficulties as the temperature needs to be steady and consistent, but this could easily be overcome with the use of a kiln, any small soldering applications could be done at your own pace after firing.

In the first instance search youtube for metal clay tutorials there are many and this will show you how easy it can be for you, there are lots of books featured in Amazon but I caanot recommend one as I have not read any, someone else will be along soon no doubt to recommend one. Best wishes in your endeavours.

Excuse errors in this post I am on holiday and using an ipad which I loathe :0)
    Last edited by Kwant; 19-09-2012 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Extra info

Have you thought about Cad design ? I know its not the same as making it with your hands but the result can be very pleasing you can download free trials of software from the web which have a certain number of saves and there is loads of tutorials etc on youtube to get you going

Recent events have shown that determined people can do almost anything. However the main hazard for you seems to be around naked flames and red hot objects.

So you should be thinking of kiln firing your clay and having a decent heat resistant area in case you drop hot metal and cause a fire. I'm sure you can do it, so strength to your arm. Dennis.

Thank you for the suggestions so far, I am a bit dubious about utube videos, I have found that for the own field of expertise they are dominated by Americans whose legislation differs from our own, and the their tools and techniques are not necessarily ones we use in the UK, of course I don't know the situation with silver or PMC, which is why I was hoping for more specific suggestions.

I am a bit perplexed by the CAD idea, I thought that was just design not actually making anything or learning about properties or utility etc?

I am quite capable of using tools and do use them extensively, I am extremely risk averse and do ensure that safety is a priority with whatever I do and never work when I am unable to function.

Does the torch firing have to be applied for long periods, that I would not be able to sustain, but if it is for say 10-15 mins that would be ok, and does it have to be hand held or are there not tools that can assist?

Sorry it is hard to try to understand something when I am so ignorant! My jewellery making book (Jinks) arrived today I hope to be better informed after reading that.

Again thank you for your help.

I was hoping for more specific suggestions.
    What sort of specifics are you after?
    if you are planning on selling you would need to insure that it is sent to an Assay office for hallmarking, (unless under certain weight) this means you can sell it legally stating it is silver...

I am a bit perplexed by the CAD idea, I thought that was just design not actually making anything or learning about properties or utility etc?
    CAD would just be design, but you could send the designs to people, or design for people, good money in that. you could also create designs per peoples ideas, certain things need to be/are best created by machines, e.g when using wax.

Does the torch firing have to be applied for long periods, that I would not be able to sustain, but if it is for say 10-15 mins that would be ok, and does it have to be hand held or are there not tools that can assist?
    when torching PMC its best not to keep the flame in the same place, esspecially if the item is large, you would have to move it over the item to keep the heart consistance over the whole piece...Although expensive kilns are a good substitute.

hope this helps