Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Competition...?

Default Competition...?

Just for fun -

I've just been given a small roll of adhesive-backed copper foil, about 0.04mm thick. Unusually for me, I'm trying to come up with possible uses for it and failing - so I thought I'd ask here for some suggestions, whether jewellery related or not.

Best suggestion received by the end of next week gets a shiny A4-ish sized piece posted to them (A4 as that's the biggest reinforced envelope I have handy at the moment); "best" shall be defined as amuses me most/I find the most practical, in no particular order.

Not affiliated with Cooksons, judge's (my!) decision final, copies of the rules available via telepathy etc. etc.

Things I've thought of - which could be elaborated on - include:
    Lining copper plating tanks (although they wouldn't last long).
    Conductive strips for e.g. wearable electronics.
    Tiffany glass - I think I've seen a technique for covering the edges of glass with copper tape & then tinning them to join them?
    PCB trace repair (getting fiddly)...

I use strips of copper tape around plant pots to deter slugs and snails It's said to give them a slight electric shock as they touch it.

On a jewellery note though, inspired by your stunning mokume gane, you could cut out patterns from the copper sheet and stick it to a silver backing piece and hey presto, a cheats version

Rachael x

make your own mini angel of the north by sticking it all over an obliging sproglet.

You could definitely do something with stained glass - it's quite straight forward and you probably wouldn't need much extra equipment (glass, glass cutter, solder). You could make small glass pieces - either for statement pendants, or what about christmas tree decorations (I did this before, they look very festive and are easy to make) - or make something a bit bigger? I made this below piece using the copper foil technique and leading around the edge...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stained glass.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	3858

Have you got a van der graaf ? No ... never mind

RFID wallet shields
    How much have you got ? wall paper - EMI-Shield
    heat sink for the bottom of your laptop

or you cold just be boring http://www.stormcopper.com/copper-foil-crafting.htm

some more ideas at http://basiccopper.com/coprid.html

J
    Last edited by Julian; 19-09-2012 at 03:40 PM.

Inspired by the above.
    Line a primark carrier bag with it, then go shoplifting.

Can we vote? So far my vote would be for the techno shoplifter :0)

This stuff just sounds like so much fun. A while ago I had a fancy to make a chess set into an item of splendour with gold leaf, I wonder if you could do the same with this? Hmmm, my mind is running riot here.
    I bet you could do some wonderful things with designs in the copper put on to slate.
    There are so many things you could use it for. You could also use it to line wooden boxes.
    Ideas overload!!!!!!!!!!!

a use would be to line the route outs on an electric guitar to stop hum / interferance

I like the shopping bag idea made me laugh

Winter's on the way, so cut it into strips and make some draft excluders for a window that won't quite shut. Dennis.