Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gravers, scorpers etc

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Not quite sure what problem you had Theresa, but the Vs once cut with a saw, can be shaped with a triangular needle file or a half round file. If more finishing is required a small rubber wheel such as Cooksons knife edge 977 090 for pendant motor would do so.

If you have any sort of diamond coated gadget, then rubber wheels can be run on it to restore the shape without harming your gadget.

Dennis.
    Have just ordered a knife edge from Cookies - I needed to remove file marks from within the 'V' but I also cut them a bit crooked which didn't help with the 'perfect' look I was trying to achieve.
    Thanks Dennis
    Theresa

Quote Originally Posted by jille View Post
    that looks gorgeous, I love the stone.
    I too have been reworking some bezels on a couple of pendants I made a while back but the bezel came too far over the stones. I managed to remove them and file them down and I'm ready to put the stones back but before I do I thought I'd ask if a few dents in the bezel, or lines will disappear when I burnish/ polish the bezel?
    When this happened to me I tried to smooth them out as best I could by gently tweaking with half rounded pliers and then inserting the stone (with dental tape around to remove later) finally gently sanding with an assortment of rubber burrs ranging from med to extra fine - but it's just trial & error really you have to use your own best judgement. Of course when the stone goes in proper any small marks should burnish out. At least that is what I have found.
    (Just noticed you are a senior member - hope I am not teaching you to suck eggs!)

Theresa

Thanks Theresa, I'm probably senior as I signed up a while back, but I'm just a newbie when it comes to working with metal

Theresa that bracelet is gorgeous!
    Can I ask how you made the hinges?

Hi Theresa,

I know this is an old post, but when I set stones with corners, even sharper than yours, I cut the bezel down so that the amount to push over is the same around the corners as it is on the rest of the stone. I don't cut V's as such, I cut down a gentle curve down to the lowest point at the cormers and that seems to work for me, no excess metal that puckers and disturbes the rest of the setting. This is something you need to do anyway with a lot of stones, e.g. I set a lot of turquoise cabs, and other stones, that are far from even in thickness around, and so I use a pencil and draw a line on the inside of the bezel with the stone in place, then cut down to that line all around, whihc means I cut more in some places than others, this makes sure you have the same amount of metal to be pushed over all around. Seems to work for me and in my mind looks good too. It's different of course with cut stones with sharp square corners, they require different techniques that I can't say I am that familiar with.

Hope that helps, and sorry if I have just told you something you already knew!

Carin
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com