Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gravers, scorpers etc

Quote Originally Posted by theresa View Post
    Yes it is a bracelet and yes the stone is approx 3cms square, it's Ocean Jasper.
    Well I stand corrected, But you're not such a dummy if you got this far, Theresa.

Thank you kind sir. I suppose that is a sort of compliment?

Well, to be honest I don't think you need a graver to tidy up the setting. To me it looks like the bezel is not totally closed in some places, so you just need to close that (at this late stage I usually use a small hammer and a tiny pusher I have which is made from an old bur) and give it a good polish.

The bangle is beautiful and the stone is gorgeous, so I wouldn't even dream of dismatling the whole piece. The setting looks fine too, just a tiny bit more closing to do :-)

I actually think there's not that much to do. I'd go in with a good burnisher (and a bit of elbow grease) and I suspect it would tighten up beautifully. I don't know what style of bezel pusher you're using for these, but I usually find a rocking one does a better job for long edges if you're trying to avoid getting the little waves that are showing on the picture.

The reason I have not finished setting it was I thought there was going to be too much bezel over the stone as it will start to go over the curve in the some places. I can appreciate why the old time setters used to use sawdust! Perhaps I am being too pernickety and should just get on with it.....

You cannot be too pernickety Theresa, perfection is something we all strive for ;-)

Have just ordered one from Cooksons, hopefully I will be able to follow your instructions for preparing it.

Thank you
    Theresa
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    PS I would still like to know what type of gravers/scorpers I should be using to tidy up bezels. In a lot of my books they are shown but not described in detail.
    Theresa,
    I use many sizes and shapes of scorpers, for cleaning up your bezel I would use a flat scorper with a polished cutting face. I would suggest this size as a start a 1.4mm. flat scorper and a handle, see;
    http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-999-AYF
    http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-999-ALO

If you do not know how to prepare scorpers for use here is a photo tutorial that I prepared a while back. I always harden and temper my scorpers after shaping them, these photos show the process.
    James

Attachment 3863[/QUOTE]

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030997.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	3876

Well guys I finished the bracelet but c****d up the setting. I cut out the corners of the bezel but didn't make a very good job of it. How do you get right in to smooth them off? A lesson learnt for the future nonetheless.

Theresa

Not quite sure what problem you had Theresa, but the Vs once cut with a saw, can be shaped with a triangular needle file or a half round file. If more finishing is required a small rubber wheel such as Cooksons knife edge 977 090 for pendant motor would do so.

If you have any sort of diamond coated gadget, then rubber wheels can be run on it to restore the shape without harming your gadget.

Dennis.

that looks gorgeous, I love the stone.
    I too have been reworking some bezels on a couple of pendants I made a while back but the bezel came too far over the stones. I managed to remove them and file them down and I'm ready to put the stones back but before I do I thought I'd ask if a few dents in the bezel, or lines will disappear when I burnish/ polish the bezel?