Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1 Year to perfect it, but where to start

Default 1 Year to perfect it, but where to start

Afternoon all,

Hope your well...

I was not planning on posting this so soon after joining, as wanted to settle in first, however in light of the task and the time scale i thought if i speak now i could at least know where to go for advice

on the 6th September 2013 my best friend over MANY years is getting married...and i have been asked to make her wedding ring

she clearly has more faith in me than i do myself, but needless to say i am NOT going to let her down.

The design is simple...well simplier than i thought it was going to be.

a single crossed over band with a single diamond, to almost match her engagement ring.

although i have worked with silver, i have never worked with gold, and most defenitly not worked with White gold, 18ct to be exact.

the diamond is going to set in the ring, flush with the surface, so is only a small one, i feel some what confident about the setting at the moment, and am planning on practicing with silver first, but i know silver is different to gold. so my question is after my usual fashion (essay) how different are they, i have done some research and found that cracking is likely, as i am not planning on casting the ring, due to lack of equipment (this is just a hobbie for me, i get people to buy the materials and i make their designs, never asking for money, so funding for equipment is not there) i will need to bend the strip or whatever i decide to use into the correct size, up and over each other to make the cross...

seriously though, what am i getting myself into, how different are silver and gold, and if i practice with silver will the out come with the gold be the same?

cheers guys

Hi, you are unlikely to have any problems making the band as it will work much like silver, particularly if you use Auflux/Auroflux as the flux for soldering and if soldering on a block, then use charcoal.
    Many of us use this flux routinely for silver too as it is less prone to expand (flower) when heated.

As for setting the stone, there is a problem with D-shaped and oval wire, that the setting will be rather shallow at the edges of the ring, making it vulnerable to loosening in use. The remedy is to choose a shallow domed wire if available, or a rectangular wire and have at least a spare mm at each side of the stone.
    You will also find the metal harder than you experience with silver. If still in doubt after some practice, employ a professional setter.

Lastly unless the engagement ring is made of the same, you will find 18ct white gold rather grey in colour, and a poor match. In some cases 9ct white might be a better choice and is very durable over the period I have observed (about 17years for my first wedding band) Dennis.

As an afterthought, if you are inexperianced practice with copper first.
    Last edited by Dennis; 17-09-2012 at 03:20 PM.

I prefer 9ct too in that it's closer in colour to silver.

Thank you for the advice, it helps that im talking to people who know what they are talking about

I believe her engagment ring is 18ct, but will double check. We will be using a retangular shape wire, possibly sheet as i cant find the measurements i need in the wire.

i am doing research at the moment about the "details" that comes with the gold, like strengths and annealing etc. I know my diamonds now as ive been researching and understanding what certs and gradings for the last couple of weeks. (i love research ) but in the mean time am going to crack on with Trial silver rings...hoping to have made at least 3 by christmas

Quote [We will be using a rectangular shape wire, possibly sheet as i cant find the measurements i need in the wire.]

OK Toni, if you get your bullion dealer to supply ready cut strip rather than rectangular wire, bear in mind that the bench shear will pinch one side to give it a bevel.

So you must file it off, or file the other side to match. Anything else, just shout. Dennis.

thank you your a star

Morning,

Well i bought some silver to make a mock ring before spending money on the white gold. and last night i tried to make it...needless to say it didnt go well
    What was i expecting, perfect on first attempt.

Her ring size is P, so i thought i would order 7cm of silver, thinking this would be long enough for the cross over, aparently not! Ok not a problem, ill continue using this piece of silver to see how i would make the cross over at the top. It soon however became evident that this was not going to work.

What she is after is something like this

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6287123.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	3930

I am now wondering if my original thought, that it needed to be casted, is the correct one, rather than trying to bend the material. I can get the top layer right, its getting the one below to bend in a S sort of shape and then blend into the side of the ring.

I cant seem to find any guides on line as to how you would make such a ring.

I think i have underestimated how difficult this could actually be typical of me really.

So ive got a couple of ideas of how to achieve this, and i guess its going to be trial and error, unless someone has attempted this before (please say yes lol)

Ideas are as follows,

Attempt to flatten the ends so that they are at a point/triangle angle before sanding out a grove under the top piece to get the ends flush with the main part of the ring.

or

cut two piece and cross them over and solder together, shape into the top half of the ring, then attach the bottom half of the ring sanding away the ends of the top half it the same thickness as the bottom half. problem i can see with this is figuring out how much material i will need.

or

Create the ring, and add a piece to the underside/sides of the ring to make it look like 2 piece crossed over

So far the piece of silver i have bents and played with is ruined now, so i will have to disgard that and order some more, i can see this trial and error method becoming expensive.

cheers

Toni

Mm, you are struggling a bit, but that is only to be expected, since a professional jeweller would take some years of training to to this.

First of all, I should do all the practicing in copper, as it is cheap enough to throw away.

If I were doing this I would wind my wire closely three times around a slightly undersized rod, trim and solder. Then I would gently stretch to size with my ring stretcher.

If you go the wax route, which is by no means easy to get right by hand, you would still need a caster to complete the process. A company such as this will take over some or all of your problems http://www.laserjewellery.co.uk/services.html#all

Dennis.

To get a ring anywhere similar to the one pictured, I'd get it cast. Have you thought about wax carving and then sending it to a professional caster? It's not as expensive as you might imagine. There are ways that a ring could be hand forged to produce something similar but it would probably be difficult for you to get a nice smooth, continuous ring. Casting is a much better choice for this design

I would definitely get it cast. It shouldn't be too hard to carve it in wax. How will you set the stone? At least if you only have one stone to set you won't have to tackle channel setting.