Thread: Confusion over hallmarking

Default Confusion over hallmarking

Hi, I just got a ring back from the assay office and the form it came back with states it's 925 silver. But I made it with PMC3, which I was told would be 999. The only parts of the ring that are sterling silver are the (buried) mounts. When I fired it, they were the only parts that flamed green. So what did I do wrong? I really needed it to be hallmarked as fine silver because that's what the commission was for.

I can't actually check the hallmark itself, I don't have the optical equipment. I'm guessing the assay office takes the lowest quality component and hallmarks it as that? Although the ring is 6.6 grams of PMC silver. Argh! Any advice welcome!

If there are any sterling components, it will reduce the final quality to below .999. In some cases you can ask to have it marked 958 (Britannia), if the total amount of sterling is small, but obviously it's still not 999.

If you want a finished piece marked as 999 it really does have to be fine silver and absolutely nothing else.

Bah! I didn't know. Although it wouldn't have mattered much because I couldn't get fine silver mounts. Thanks, I'll know next time!

Quote Originally Posted by Sim View Post
    I'm guessing the assay office takes the lowest quality component and hallmarks it as that?
    I am afraid thats right.

I make some items with sterling and add on bits of 14ct and 18ct gold...they come back as sterling + metal. #Deflating

Yes mine do too, its a bit much to be told that it is "other metal" when its GOLD especially as the price is high.

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    I make some items with sterling and add on bits of 14ct and 18ct gold...they come back as sterling + metal. #Deflating

If the gold component weighs over 1g will they hallmark it as such in a mixed metal piece? I've been wondering that for quite some time. For example, if you have a ring with a band consisting of sterling but a large karat gold component/accent weighing >1g, would they hallmark it with its appropriate quality or would they still state 925 + metal?

I don't know if it's applicable but when I sent in some mixed metal pieces made with sterling and copper the lovely lady at Brum Assay phoned to ask if I wanted 'metal' or 'copper' to be on the stamp. I chose copper. I wonder if they offer a similar scheme with gold?
    Di x

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

I have to give Brum a thumbs up for that one... they do call me and check if I want mine assayed and marked for gold. I have only had things returned just marked for sterling if they don't call me. I have never had any gold sent back with 'metal'.

I did once have a customer give me some of their old gold and the assay checked it for quality. It came in at the old 8ct standard and they would not assay it as it was simply not of gold standard. They were happy to produce a lovely note that explained to my customer the lower than 9ct standard.