Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metal clay question

Default Metal clay question

Hello, my apologies for not being around much recently, things get in the way sometimes.
    I'm using metal clay more these days as it's easier on the hands.
    I would like to know if it's ok to use the same tools, moulds and texture sheets for copper and silver clays, so long as they are washed first.
    I'd hate to contaminate my silver though.
    thanks

If you do go to the trouble of washing everything then I cannot see a reason why you should not use the same things for all types of clay. I would not perhaps use the same polishing materials though just in case, files,papers,discs, brushes etc as they could not be washed.

That's what i thought, i use my cutters and texture mats for ceramic clay as well so they get well used

got another question as I've just been playing with my clay. It seemed that no matter how much I worked it, or moistened it I got fine cracks on rolling, why?

If it has dried out a little it is best to moisten it then leave it wrapped in cling film overnight before conditioning it or working it as you say. The moisture really needs to get right through the clay and I have found that to be the best way, dampen it wrap in a tiny piece of just damp kitchen roll then in cling film and leave. The following day with a little grease on your fingers (badger balm) work the clay briefly (it dries so quickly being handled too much) before rolling and see if that sorts your problem.

Thanks for the tips, it has been a while since I used silver clay and I didn't have that problem last time. So I need to be patient and let the water soak in overnight.
    Thanks again

I always put a drop of water inside the sealed packet (but not inside the plastic that the clay is wrapped in) to help maintain the humidity after using some, but not all, the clay in a session.
    Elaine at Mead Moon
    Mead Moon
    My Etsy shop

I put a dampened make up sponge in the packet to keep it moist ;-)

I'm sure I replied to Elaine yesterday but it's gone, so thanks for the moisture tips ladies.
    I have a group of NWR ladies who come to do something crafty every year, so yesterday I wanted to see what you could do with half a 7g pack of clay. I needed a bit more, 4g for the cockle shell, so I think maybe I need to find a smaller shell

I made some shell elements just last week, these were about as small as I could get 2.32g for the largest one and 1.1g for the slim pointy one:

Fine silver shells by kwant, on Flickr