Thread: Spinels

Default Spinels

I just thought I would share these beauties with you, All natural and verified by my self and another Gemologist. BTW the Black Prince Ruby in the crown Jewels is in fact a red spinel.

The The Swiss Gemmological Institute has a nice article on them http://www.ssef.ch/fileadmin/Documen...rch_Spinel.pdf

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_9550.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	3853

The full size image is hear http://julianyoung.com/wp-content/up...9/DSC_9550.jpg

Technically they are for sale but i will be very sad to see them go.

Julian
    Last edited by Julian; 17-09-2012 at 10:04 AM.

Those are beautiful Julian.. spinels are one of my favourite stones. What size and how much is the purple oval 4th from the right? The blue trilian and oval are lovely too!

Julian, they are beautiful. I love sparkly :-)
    Pauline x

Quote Originally Posted by solitarysmagick View Post
    Those are beautiful Julian.. spinels are one of my favourite stones. What size and how much is the purple oval 4th from the right? The blue trilian and oval are lovely too!
    The reds are from Burma bought about 10 years ago, and the colours from Sri Lanka.

Row 4 purple:I have verified the RI as 1.718 which is correct for spinel and too low for a synthetic. its 7.39 x 5.81 x 4.11 (LWH mm and wights 1.18 carats, eye clean but not loop clean with typical inclusion not found in synthetics.

The Reds I would have to ask GBP 35/carat but i will let the Sri Lanka'n ones go for GBP20/Carat. As will all my best stones i offer a 60day no questions ask return guarantee.

Julian
    Last edited by Julian; 17-09-2012 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    The reds are from Burma bought about 10 years ago, and the colours from Sri Lanka.

Row 4 purple:I have verified the RI as 1.718 which is correct for spinel and too low for a synthetic. its 5.8mm x 7.4mm and wights 1.18 carats, eye clean but not loop clean with typical inclusion not found in synthetics.

The Reds I would have to ask GBP 35/carat but i will let the Sri Lanka'n ones go for GBP20/Carat. As will all my best stones i offer a 60day no questions ask return guarantee.

Julian
    I'm very tempted I will have to check my funds, I've just restocked my silver supply so I'm a little tight until payday Out of interest though what are carat weights of the blue trillian and oval? I do love those colours

Quote Originally Posted by solitarysmagick View Post
    I'm very tempted I will have to check my funds, I've just restocked my silver supply so I'm a little tight until payday Out of interest though what are carat weights of the blue trillian and oval? I do love those colours
    I have marked the weights on the pic

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_9550.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	3854

PM sent Julian