Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Setting a Trillion shaped stone

ah but Wallace that is in every way a lovely piece

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by Kwant View Post
    Not in the same league as Dennis but after your question Theresa, I knocked up this one, it being a little easier as the trillion was fat and rounded, and Dennis note the much hated bail of the stone setting vid Di posted last week, it is the one I made as a practice having seen the vid, nothing gets wasted here :0)

Smoky quartz trillion pendant1 by kwant, on Flickr

ah but Wallace that is in every way a lovely piece
    that is a lovely setting and I love how you updated the bail - nice fresh look. I know I said it earlier, but you do make Smokey Quartz look lovely.

Ps... you sweet talker xx

Thank you ever so much everyone - you are all brilliant. The stones I have are all faceted and the look I was aiming for was as Wallace, Dennis & Kwant have shown. I can see I am going to be busy practicing.
    Thank you again
    Theresa

Love that ring Dennis

Thank you, I didn't mean to hijack Theresa's thread. The roll texture is from a sample of hand made paper my o/h made on a course at that time. Every one thought the silver looked just like skin.

When I wrote the piece above I had to back-track and delete my references to three sided triblets. I have two, a sharp one and a cushioned one and they make perfecting the collet a doddle.
    Now they are quite rare and I could only find one shape, for a cushioned trillion, at Euro Mounts and Findings, but no price.

Cornelius, have a good holiday 'Over The Border' btw, . Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 11-09-2012 at 09:00 PM.

I now have permission to view the prices at Euro Mounts and Findings, and the cost of a trillion mini-triblet is £51 plus VAT. That is serious money considering mine were £9 and £16, only about five years ago. Gradually all the useful tools for which there is little call are being discontinued.

Makes perfect sense Di - I like those settings too - something else to try!
    Theresa

Default Triblet

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I now have permission to view the prices at Euro Mounts and Findings, and the cost of a trillion mini-triblet is £51 plus VAT. That is serious money considering mine were £9 and £16, only about five years ago. Gradually all the useful tools for which there is little call are being discontinued.
    Dennis - I saw a small triblet on Ebay from Jewellers Tools for £12.50. Size is 4mm to 10mm over 11" length. Do you think this would be of use?

Theresa

Quote Originally Posted by theresa View Post
    Dennis - I saw a small triblet on Ebay from Jewellers Tools for £12.50. Size is 4mm to 10mm over 11" length. Do you think this would be of use?

Theresa
    I have a set of these in all different shapes that I bought on eBay. I think I paid about £30 for 6, and then I bought an individual one for about £9. Certainly pays to have a quick search through to try and find a bargain! I find them very useful for doing small fiddly items, although I have so far only used them a couple of times. Hoping to get round to some more stone setting practice soon

Quote Originally Posted by solitarysmagick View Post
    I have a set of these in all different shapes that I bought on eBay. I think I paid about £30 for 6, and then I bought an individual one for about £9. Certainly pays to have a quick search through to try and find a bargain! I find them very useful for doing small fiddly items, although I have so far only used them a couple of times. Hoping to get round to some more stone setting practice soon
    hmm.. seems my phone doesn't like adding pound signs in posts just in case it looks funny to other ppl reading this too it should read 30 pounds and 9 pounds