Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *sob*

Default *sob*

I started a pair of earrings yesterday, polished them up and finished them this morning, very chuffed with the results. So I wore them out shopping this afternoon...and realised on the train home that one was missing. SOOO upsetting!

I lost a favoured chain some nigh on thirty years ago and I still regret it so know how you feel.

Know that feeling so well. Mine was an heirloom signet ring that went over the side of a boat whilst gutting mackerel. I've never quite forgiven myself.

What sort of fitting were they eirish? There may be a lesson in there somewhere.

Well I have several times had to relpace earrings on hooks when one came off unbeknown to the wearer. Now if I think that is likely to happen I supply them with plastic backs, such as Cooksons N2L 002, which are secure and virtually invisible. Alternatively I make catches. Dennis.

I lost a gold locket - thirty odd years ago now - somewhere around Baker Street. It contained a pic of my daughter, who was living with her dad, plus a daisy she had picked for me. I still get upset over that
    Di x

Something that I got on ebay which is very useful is small plastic skin coloured tubes that fit on the back of earrings. I think they are made to stop people taking them off in the shops, but I use them all the time especially for drop earrings. If I have a favoured pair of studs I use them on the end just behind the butterfly. Works a treat. Here is the link for them:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-clear-...#ht_481wt_1086

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Well I have several times had to relpace earrings on hooks when one came off unbeknown to the wearer. Now if I think that is likely to happen I supply them with plastic backs, such as Cooksons N2L 002, which are secure and virtually invisible. Alternatively I make catches. Dennis.
    Last edited by Patstone; 09-09-2012 at 08:14 AM.

Thanks for all the lovely sympathy and advice. They were standard-shaped hooks - I'll be sure to use plastic backs when I get a new one made. I think I might even have some around. I'm now feeling quite grateful that they were neither heirlooms nor very expensive to make, although it may be tricky to get a match to the orphan. And this time I'll take pictures *before* wearing them!

Take some small comfort in that fact that, had you sold them, the customer would have invariably blamed you (and you would have probably felt so guilty and also concerned about your brand rep that you would have replaced them!) That happened to me with a bracelet.

Were they long eirish? One problem that can happen with longer dangly earrings is that as you move, they get pushed upwards, and will come out of the ear. Kidney hooks that clip closed, or lever back fittings can be the solution for these.

Even shorter earrings can work themselves out very easily if the hook's not quite the right shape. Making one that curves back round the ear slightly, rather than sticking straight out towards the neck can help avoid this.

If you struggle to match the orphan, try making an unmatched pair - with a definite matching theme of colour or shape, but not at all the same!

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Something that I got on ebay which is very useful is small plastic skin coloured tubes that fit on the back of earrings. I think they are made to stop people taking them off in the shops, but I use them all the time especially for drop earrings. If I have a favoured pair of studs I use them on the end just behind the butterfly. Works a treat. Here is the link for them:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-clear-...#ht_481wt_1086
    That is a great idea, I am going to supply those as standard

J