Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pmc polishing..will i ever be able to get it right??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Pmc polishing..will i ever be able to get it right??

Hi, Ive been reading and reading about removing scratches from PMC and have followed everything above from start to finish as advised atc, yet i STILL have scratches on my finished piece. I have tried finishing with both the 3M papers and the Spectrum papers on 2 different pieces to see if its one or the other, but scratches are still there. Ive bought the silicone polishing tips, and used them in all grades, and they seem to mark my silver. Whatever I do i simply cant win!! Maybe Ive got my dremel on too fast? I've used every kind of tip from fat to thin, and worked through the grades.
    Can anyone please please help? Its had me in tears again today!!

I have tried to make sure my piece is perfect before firing , given it a wipe with a baby wipe and looks perfect. Ive omitted using the brass brush to see if it was that, and scratches still there.

Are there some higher grades of sandpaper or polishing papers |I dont know about?
    Am I polishing for too long or too little?

Im at the end of my tether

ps. tumbling is doing a wonderful job, but I is no good for fingerprints (

Hi wifey,

I use micro mesh (don't know who makes it, so it may be the stuff you are already using) the final grade 12000 has no real discernible feel to it and having worked down through the grades, about hmm seven of them the scratches are gone. Anything that feels vaguely rough will leave marks on pmc as it is so very soft.

The real problem with polishing is that unless you remove all visible marks at every stage, the next finergrade will simply highlight what you did not tackle.

You might try starting with radial disks on your motor (link below), first with yellow and ending with orange/peach, or light green. Then a tumbler should put on the final gloss.

And yes too much pressure and too high a speed will gouge the metal. Does your motor have speed control? Also the polisher should be kept in constant motion(circular or side to side) to avoid tramlines. Dennis

http://www.cooksongold.com/category_...ry=Raial+disks

Just wondering why tumbler is no good for fingerprints? I'd have thought it would be less brutal than all that rubbing you're doing!

Yes well, even if you manage to eradicate the finger prints, people can be identified by their ears.

I know old folks get big ears but are they prehensile? In as much that they are picking things up with them :0)

I use Micro-mesh too and its brilliant stuff, sometimes you have to go through the process several times to get out all the deeper scratches. Heres a link to it on Fleabay:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MICRO-MESH...#ht_3702wt_910

Quote Originally Posted by Kwant View Post
    Hi wifey,

I use micro mesh (don't know who makes it, so it may be the stuff you are already using) the final grade 12000 has no real discernible feel to it and having worked down through the grades, about hmm seven of them the scratches are gone. Anything that feels vaguely rough will leave marks on pmc as it is so very soft.

Thank you all for your replies, much appreciated

I've just ordered some radial discs, as it's the only thing I haven't tried yet lol

I'll try with my test piece and try again with the burrs. I have a few pieces that are fired but I'm not attempting to polish any of them until I get it right

I don't tumble the fingerprint pieces as it makes the print less defined and only polish very gently over the finger print area

I shall let you know how I get on. I am a perfectionist armed with a powerful magnifying lamp.. Great for my pieces.. No good for my fingers lol

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    Just wondering why tumbler is no good for fingerprints? I'd have thought it would be less brutal than all that rubbing you're doing!
    as wifey said before, if you tumble PMC it erodes the fingerprints if they are a direct print. just about everyone I know who has PMC fingerprint jewellery find they end up with indistinct hollows where once was a print. It's why I don't use direct prints for my stuff.

Might be a daft question but the micro mesh is for polishing AFTER firing right?
    Think I'm getting myself in a bit of a pickle thinking about it too much