Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: September Theme Competition

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default September Theme Competition

This Month's Theme......

Harvest

Hello everyone!

September is upon us, where did the summer go?

We love the rich colours, full shapes and organic feel of harvest. So, if you have any harvest themed designs then we would love for you to share them with us all!

So post your design incorporating this theme within this thread with a little bit about the piece and the winner will be revealed at the end of the month!

The Winner will WIN a combination Rolling Mill!!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! WE CAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHAT'S INSPIRED YOU THIS MONTH!!

A few legalities...

Terms & conditions

No purchase necessary. The closing date for the competition will be 30.09.2012. The winner will win a Combination Rolling Mill. The judging process will take place on 03.10.2012. Our Silversmith Judging Panel will make the final decision.

The Competition is open to all Cookson Precious Metals customers who are UK residents and aged 18 years and over.

Only one entry per person.

There is no cash alternative. Cookson Precious Metals reserves the right to change the prize for one of equivalent value.

The winner will be notified on the forum within this thread by 05.10.2012. The winner's name and county will be available by sending a stamped addressed envelope to: The Competition Secretary, Marketing Department Cookson Precious Metals, 59-83 Vittoria Street. Birmingham B1 3NZ.

Employees of Cookson Precious Metals, their agents and families are excluded from the competition together with any person connected to the competition.

Entry into the competition is deemed as acceptance of the rules. The winner agrees to participate in any publicity in connection with the competition.

To enter the competition, simply publish your design/comment within this thread.

No correspondence will be entered into. The judging panel's decision is final. The promoter is Cookson Precious Metals

No one?

I've spent the weekend finishing mine, just need to take some photos now, but really didn't want to go first! Saying that, it was an experiment that didn't turn out as well as I hoped, so at least there is hope of winning by default ;-)

Are people uninspired by the theme of harvest, or are we all as desperate to win this prize as I am, and playing our poker faces til the last minute?

It might not be a case of inspiration, fay144. Some of us don't even want to compete for a rolling mill. If you would like one, go for it now. Dennis.

True, I guess a lot of the regular competitors will already have one.

I'll definitely take some photos this week and upload them.

Some of us might not be entering because the judging seems a little off ..................... I and not a few others were a little surprised that a one post wonder won last month over at least two entries that were really much better (for me the swallows hands down) perhaps we the "active" forum members should decide who is a winner by voting, not so terribly difficult a thing to do and perhaps the rules need to be tightened ............... a new piece for the competition not some stock item that has been lying in the drawers for ages (not sure how that would work but hey get a bit of honesty in your entries). I don't much care if this sounds like sour grapes, because I know I am not alone in thinking this.

My entry for this month would have been a cornucopia (Cornelius is derived from the latin cornucopia) with stones representing the fruits but ...........the rules as they are say I cannot enter as I am a foreigner so I will save my metal and stones (even though I was told by the previous, now disappeared rep of Cookson that I could enter).
    Last edited by Kwant; 24-09-2012 at 06:30 PM. Reason: extra info

Thanks for the reply Kwant, I hadn't realised that - I was busy with the day job last month and not paying much attention to the forum.

It's a funny competition in a way - there were a few points while I was making my piece for this month where it occured to me that I could just superglue the thing together, for sake of the photos, and no one would ever know that it wasn't really wearable... But I resisted the temptation!

I'm going to enter anyway - mainly because I really want a rolling mill. And also because I think I had an interesting idea this month, but choose the wrong technique to create it, and I'd appreciate advice from the people who would have done it better.

I decided to use this month to try something I'd been thinking about for a while. I 'harvested' some long grasses, and coated them in 8 thick layers of metal clay paste. I fired them in the kiln, and then formed them into a braclet, soldering the blades together. This looked amazing, and I was tempted to take photos then, but it was far too fragile to actually wear. I strengthened some weak points with solder, but realised that it just wasn't going to work. So I added a strip of silver sheet in the middle, and soldered the metal clay to this. This added the strength that I needed, but it lost the delicate look that I loved - I wanted it to look like a single blade of grass wrapped around my wrist. I oxidised the piece, and then cleared most of it off, except in the deepest bits.

I like this idea, but in pracise, I think metal clay was the wrong thing to use. It took hours of very careful burnishing to shine and work harden this piece, and depite this, the finish isn't great. And there is no way that the clay would be strong enough to stand alone without additional silver. This might be because I didn't coat it thick enough - I've not used silver clay often. But I think that what I really wanted to do was use electro-forming? I've seen examples on this forum of people using that, and I think that's what I was trying to achieve. Or once I did an organic casting in a class, and that might have been suitable, if I'd coated the grass with something first?

Anyway, comments appreciated...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_3255.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	3871 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_3254.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	3872
    Last edited by fay144; 25-09-2012 at 09:09 AM.

I finished this peice on the 29th, I hope that given the circumstances, that late entries are accepted. The forums have been offline for 2 days & I tried to email this to Cooksons but both emails were bounced back by postmaster "unable to deliver".

My competition entry is the Harvest Fruit Basket Brooch.
    It's been made from copper sheet, some recycled copper wire, silver wire and copper & silver granulations.
    The bowl is 28mm diameter & the leaves are 15 and 20mm length.
    I hoped to capture the true feeling of harvest in a very short space of time =)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	for cooksons.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	3878
    Last edited by Keia; 01-10-2012 at 07:09 AM. Reason: missed out what the item is - a brooch! =O
    Sian Williamson

Hi All,

We are very sorry that our Forum has been down over the weekend. Due to these circumstances we are extending the deadline of our September competition, the closing date will now be Tuesday 2nd October at midnight. Once again our apologies.

Regards
    Georgia Benham
    E-Commerce Assistant

That brooch is beautiful Sian.

Ah now I've managed to log on , will go and find my entry