Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jewellery Making/Silversmithing Book Recommendations

Default Jewellery Making/Silversmithing Book Recommendations

Hi Guys..

I have had a clearout and traded a couple of old books on amazon. I now have a giftcard for around £50 and was wondering what jewellery making/silversmithing books people would recommend?

Rachael x

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Designing-Ma...6418706&sr=8-1

this one is something that covers the basics very well. I still revisit it and it is my only dog eared book as it is so well used.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Workbenc.../ref=pd_cp_b_1

I like this one too, it is a great resource.

I am sure there are plenty of books..... I have my own library, pretty much as most of us probably do. But for starters, these are clear, informative and the work carried out is the work of the authors/artists, which for me is a bonus.

good luck with whichever books you select Rachael
    Last edited by Wallace; 31-08-2012 at 01:16 PM.

I don't have much of a library yet, but of the few I have:

My favourite one for beginners as it's just really clear and simple:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jewellery-Ma...6422841&sr=1-1

My current favourite fullstop as I love gems and wanted to learn more stone setting techniques:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guide-Gemsto...6422928&sr=1-1

^ beautifully illustrated with photos, LOADS of techniques (including quite a few I'd never heard of or seen before), good for inspiration. That said, not sure how much is duplicated content from her other book which Wallace mentioned above (I've just ordered that one).

My vote would go to the two Anastasia Young books mentioned above. They are both great reference resources.
    Elaine at Mead Moon
    Mead Moon
    My Etsy shop

Thanks for the recommendations I was looking at the workbench guide the other day, that one looks like a good candidate, and I already have the Anastatia Young one for stone settings as I have a thing for gems and hope to get into that eventually For those of you who share my enthusiasm for pretty rocks, I absolutely LOVE this book, couldn't put it down once I'd got it

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jewellers-Di...6434328&sr=1-1

Any serious collection of books on jewellery making must contain the Complete Metalsmith, by Tim McCreight. However if it appeals to you, don't buy the professional version, which has a spiral bound hard cover. It is so awkward to close that you might well end up flinging it across the room and doing a lot of damage. Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Any serious collection of books on jewellery making must contain the Complete Metalsmith, by Tim McCreight. However if it appeals to you, don't buy the professional version, which has a spiral bound hard cover. It is so awkward to close that you might well end up flinging it across the room and doing a lot of damage. Dennis
    What a coincidence.. I have just put this book on my wishlist on amazon It looks very interesting and one I think I will definately be getting.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post

now I remember where mine went! lol

The Anastasia Young book is a very user friendly book!

Quote Originally Posted by solitarysmagick View Post
    I already have the Anastasia Young one for stone settings as I have a thing for gems and hope to get into that eventually
    I got that book recently, and absolutely love it. I got many books, but this one makes me feel I'm attending the jewelry school.
    I did not know that she also wrote The Workbench Guide, I'm going to buy that right now!
    The best.