Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Copper Bowl - First attempt!

Default Copper Bowl - First attempt!

Hi Guys..

I saw a video on youtube the other day of a guy making a copper bowl and thought I'd give it a whirl. The copper sheet I had was just a thin strip so its more of a small dish than bowl, only about 7cm across, but I'm quite pleased with it for a first attempt It's a bit lopsided here and there, but I like it

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	228453_10151118209206926_1072419186_n.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	3812

Rachael x

Yes, Rachael, I like it too!
    Di x

Quote Originally Posted by Di Sandland View Post
    Yes, Rachael, I like it too!
    Thanks Di

Its curves give it character, I like it too. Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by solitarysmagick View Post
    Thanks Di

One of my very first jobs as an apprentice was to make copper pickle pans. If you want them to be round then draw pencil lines around the disc, like a target, and follow the lines with the hammer hammering in circles, starting from the outer diameter and working towards the middle, never hitting the same spot twice. When you reach the centre, anneal and start again if it is not deep enough, I had to make the pickle pans quite deep, almost half a sphere.
    James

You would think that the metals submerged in the pickle would take on a copper colour, chemical reaction etc. Not very good at chemistry I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    You would think that the metals submerged in the pickle would take on a copper colour, chemical reaction etc. Not very good at chemistry I'm afraid.
    heh, that's what I thought too!

but I like the bowl a lot, it's something I'd like to try (along with all the other stuff... when I get time!)

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    They will if you leave them in cold pickle, the pickle pans that I made had long wooden handles like ladles, we used a dilute sulphuric acid pickle which was kept in a lead lined vat and as an apprentice one of my jobs was to "boil out" the craftmen's jobs when asked. To do this I went into the forge room, where we had a forge with a foot operated bellows that worked the gas torch. I would fill a copper pickle bowl with pickle from the vat and add the job to the pickle in the bowl, then heat the pickle bowl with the forge torch until it boiled, then I would pour the pickle back into the pickle vat and wash the job in the pickle bowl under a running tap. This was instant pickling or what we called "boiling out" the old way.
    James

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

lovely work Rachael, is it this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKcTU7NA5Lc? I have been waiting for a nice break from my regular day job to do some experimenting.... I may have to try now I have seen your bowl

i have my copper and my stump of wood, I am still waiting on my mum to send me a gouge to carve out the bowl shape in the wood (been waiting what seems like months, though she tells me funnily enough she sent it on on Friday 0 ). This will be a practice before having a go at a silver one I have been asked to do.