Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Copper Bowl - First attempt!

Quote Originally Posted by susieq View Post
    Rachael/Kwant - both great bowls.

What thickness and size of copper did you start off with? Will you use the same thickness for your silver bowl?

Susie
    Hi Susie,

Mine was just made from a small piece of 0.7mm copper I keep for practice runs/experiments. About 10x10cm to start with. Can't wait to try a bigger piece

Rachael x

Same here 0.7 and yes when I get round to it I will use the same in silver, need to get myself sorted out with some decent hammers first.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by Kwant View Post
    Same here 0.7 and yes when I get round to it I will use the same in silver, need to get myself sorted out with some decent hammers first.
    no doubt that will happen very quickly :p

You are so clever. What a brilliant first time result.

Can't wait to see what you get up to in silver..... I am sure it will be very fetching. :p

A friend made a small bowl in 1mm thick silver, it was an absolute nightmare, repeated annealing and work hardening resulted in multiple fractures, after further advice from an experienced silversmith, she was advised her sheet had been too thick!

That sounds a little strange, Tabby - annealing in time should have prevented the fractures; overworking it after it work hardened could well cause the fractures (although overheating in annealing can cause problems too).
    As for 1mm being too thick - erm...

Sunk bowl, 1.5mm copper.

Very nice Peter, as I said I only have very limited observational experience!!

I didn't show the planishing hammer or stake in that photo, but those are the core tools used. The wood block started out flat, but because it is end-grain in softwood it soon forms a pleasing dent for sinking into. Diameter is 5" IIRC.
    I wouldn't try sinking something like that in .7mm - the metal can get quite thin with all the stretching; I'd probably raise the form with that thickness.

Just wanted to say Peter.................about time you had a few items on etsy!!..............more items needed now methinks ;D

Possibly - I still need to sort out the repousse sets I've got part-done. But at the moment, I'm rather more focussed on a Christmas exhibition coming up...

I want to see his pretties not just his bashers.

not that his bowl is not quite lovely but you know................

oh lol forgive me for talking about you as if you are not here I did not see your post :P
    Last edited by Kwant; 05-09-2012 at 09:32 PM. Reason: clarification