Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tips on making soldering clamps

Default Tips on making soldering clamps

I have posted this on other forums, so forgive me if you have seen it before. I use home made clamps to secure sections when soldering. I make my clamps from sheet stainless steel, available from many sources, but I get mine from eBay.see; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/stainless-...8#ht_500wt_969

I use a piercing saw to cut strips from 0.9mm. thick stainless steel sheet. The strips are 4mm. wide and 100mm. long. Then I file the strips clean and bend them into shape using pliers. The photo below shows the shapes I make and some of their uses during soldering.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	213 Stainless clamp sheet.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	3811

James

I really intend to get some of these made. What I can't work out is how the T shaped ones fit though.

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    I really intend to get some of these made. What I can't work out is how the T shaped ones fit though.
    Liz, take a look at Dave's photos on the UKJC forum, page 2 of the thread,"putting together a silver chain". Dave made a T clamp and gave it a try, now he likes them.

James

cheers james!

Thanks James - I have been meaning to make some for ages now and fortunately have a piece of stainless steel knocking around. So here goes...
    Theresa

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    I have posted this on other forums, so forgive me if you have seen it before. I use home made clamps to secure sections when soldering. I make my clamps from sheet stainless steel, available from many sources, but I get mine from eBay.see; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/stainless-...8#ht_500wt_969
    Yay ...... my steel has arrived :-) The company you recommended were absolutely fab! All I need now is diferent blades to cut it with..... not willing to be delayed me thinks I will have a play and start marking it out for cutting. Thanks loads James
    Pauline x

Actually, If you have standard 2/0 blades, a light touch and a candle for frequent lubrication, you will easily make James' clamps as I did. Just rub the candle on the back of the blade every 2.0cm or so.
    Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Actually, If you have standard 2/0 blades, a light touch and a candle for frequent lubrication, you will easily make James' clamps as I did. Just rub the candle on the back of the blade every 2.0cm or so.
    Dennis.
    Thanks for the suggestion Dennis. I'm still building up tools etc - I don't have 2/0 but I do have 3/0 and possibly 6/0 .... are the 3/0 any good for the task?
    Pauline x

James, do you sell these atall for us busy part-timers?
    Sian Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by Keia View Post
    James, do you sell these at all for us busy part-timers?
    There are all levels of jewellery making, of course, but if you are unwilling to tackle something like this, you are missing some of the learning curve which would make you a better worker.

Besides there is much satisfaction in making or adapting your own tools. Dennis.