Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tips on making soldering clamps

Quote Originally Posted by Keia View Post
    James, do you sell these atall for us busy part-timers?
    As Dennis said, making these types of clamps is part of the learning curve of becoming a better worker. Like Dennis you might probably think up variants of the clamps to better suit your jobs. You can make a clamp in five minutes.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    There are all levels of jewellery making, of course, but if you are unwilling to tackle something like this, you are missing some of the learning curve which would make you a better worker.

Besides there is much satisfaction in making or adapting your own tools. Dennis.
    Ohh no, please don't get me wrong - it's not about being unwilling, it's about finding the time. Something like this looks like it could take hours, but James says it only takes 5 mins so that makes it far more realistic for me to work with. I don't get time to brush my hair most days never mind make my own tools, the only thing I've managed to make time to make for myself is half a pickling ladel =)
    Sian Williamson

Sorry, I was being Grumpy. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Sorry, I was being Grumpy. Dennis.
    I think it's just one of those days to be honest, feeling it abit myself =) You're totally right though - I should make a conservative effort to make the time to make these things that I need - the experiance gained from it would be immense and necessary to developing other skills. I've purchased the sheet from James reccomended seller and printed off his tutorial. I fully plan on lumbering the husband with childcare duties this weekend so I can crack on with it. I wonder how everyone else got on with making theirs?
    Sian Williamson

I'm at the same point as you Keia, bought some steel from James' recommended supplier and printed out his instructions. But haven't got any further! Let us know how you get on, it might spur me on to have a go too.
    Anne

Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
    Blog: http://www.whiteoakjewellery.blogspot.com/

I've made two so far. It's the sawing that takes the time for me; even with the recommended "Platinum King" saw blades it takes me an age. After that, just a minute or so to file and shape.
    Elaine at Mead Moon
    Mead Moon
    My Etsy shop

I cheated and used work's shear to cut half the sheet I had handy into neat lengths. The strips curl slightly, but it isn't really an issue for this (and it took seconds to do).

Quote Originally Posted by MeadMoon View Post
    I've made two so far. It's the sawing that takes the time for me; even with the recommended "Platinum King" saw blades it takes me an age. After that, just a minute or so to file and shape.
    Same here Elaine - I cut a 10cm square off my stainless steel today and then five strips off that. My stainless steel is slightly thicker at 1mm and even though I had platinum king blades too it took me well over an hour and five of my saw blades.

When the blades were new, I found the sawing reasonably easy, but once I'd got 4cm or so cutting further became progressively more difficult until I reached a point where it was taking so long just to cut another mm, that I swapped for a new blade. Need to make a cross piece so that I can use it as an anchor for clamping wire for bangles, but I think I need to invest in another pack of saw blades.

Susie

S

Presumably there's no reason this stuff cant be cut with a full size hacksaw?
    A bit fiddly to support it perhaps.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

I use cotter pins - I think I saw that in the Revere tips or someones tips! They work really well. got them on ebay and some at halfords... I love to saw, form, fold, solder, add stones... but the ones I made mostly sit in my cupboard of darkness. Maybe I should try them again.