Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hallmarking - Advice needed

Hello - late to the thread as usual!

I too agree with all that's said above. I registered with the Birmingham because it was the traditional centre for marking silver (the anchor mark) - as evidenced by all the antique progs on daytime telly (which are my guilty secret ). It sort of hurt me to do that because I'm a born and bred cockney and thought I should really go with London and the leopard; traditionally, London was the gold hallmarking centre. The other reason I went with Brum though, and probably far more important, is the fact that they are so helpful. At the time I was thinking about these things we had a member of this forum registered with London; they made one mistake after another and, apparently, weren't very helpful at all. This might be just one person's experience though. I just didn't want to take the risk because I didn't have a clue what I was doing anyway.

I ordered the 0.5mm stamp - as advised by the assay office. Well, what a waste of time! It might make you legal but it won't make you show - it is far too small to be legible without magnification. For me, my makers mark was important and I was so disappointed that nobody could read the bloomin' thing - especially my family who were just as excited as me.

So, since then I have everything 3D laser marked; I only ever used the punch on that first consignment. The beauty of the laser mark is that you can specify exactly what size you want it - important if your pieces are all different sizes.

To set up the laser marking cost, from memory, around fifty quid for a one-time set up fee.

Hope that helps
    Di x

Thanks Di, that's very helpful! To be honest I had discounted the Birmingham office almost straight away for the simple fact that I hate the website! It may just be me not looking in the right place (more than likely knowing me) but I just can't seem to find a price list anywhere, which for me being a hobbyist at the moment is near the top of my priority list. However I may decide to give them a call and get some more info over the phone at some point.

I think I am definitely going to go down the laser route, but also order a punch large enough to read so that I can stamp items not to be hallmarked. My copper items tend to be larger items anyway as opposed to dainty rings so as Dennis suggested, possibly a 1.5mm would do the trick.

Something else that came to mind whilst reading the info I printed off was about the initials themselves. My initials as they stand would be RB, however my fiancé and I are planning to get married next year, whereupon they would then change to RH.. so would I have to request RB or RH, or doesn't it matter?

Quote Originally Posted by solitarysmagick View Post
    Something else that came to mind whilst reading the info I printed off was about the initials themselves. My initials as they stand would be RB, however my fiancé and I are planning to get married next year, whereupon they would then change to RH.. so would I have to request RB or RH, or doesn't it matter?
    A lot depends on whether you plan to change your 'working' name. If you're already known by your maiden name, it can be useful to stick with that for work (especially if there are websites etc involved), rather than changing.

oh this just gets more complicated! You see I sell my items under the name Magick Creations I can see a nice long phone call to one of the offices coming on

Quote Originally Posted by solitarysmagick View Post

Out of interest, which office do you use Dennis, and how much did it cost to set up for laser marking initially? I printed off all the registration forms/info sheets for each office this morning. I'm drawn to Sheffield first as its the closest and I like the Yorkshire rose
    Well, I'm registered in London, because that's where I live and I can take things there myself. There has been branch office in Greville street off Hatton Garden in recent years too.

My original registration was about £40 and after ten years I had to renew the registration of my sponsor's mark for £35.

George has already said this, but most women now retain their birth name for professional purposes and personally I would opt for my initials regardless of the name of the company. After all, in time to come, all that is all you might have left of your real identity. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 13-09-2012 at 04:11 PM.

You can of course have a separate stamp with your logo on if you have one for Magick Creations, you then have the best of both worlds, your sponsor mark as your name and an extra mark for your company name.

Edited to add and I agree with Dennis your name not your married name.

Thank you Dennis and Kwant, RB it is or RAB, decisions decisions...

Whether RB or RAB in whatever shape is governed to some extent by all the RBs who have gold and silvered before you. Your initials in that particular shape will be your mark for ever. That's FOREVER. WOW. I still feel a little bit amazed every time I send something off (london) and I got my mark 30 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    Whether RB or RAB in whatever shape is governed to some extent by all the RBs who have gold and silvered before you. Your initials in that particular shape will be your mark for ever. That's FOREVER. WOW. I still feel a little bit amazed every time I send something off (london) and I got my mark 30 years ago
    yes, and I fully expect my first choice to be taken, but you never know I'm leaning towards RAB as I expect that will give me slightly more possibilities. It is quite exciting to think I will have my very own mark soon, I can't wait

Well I finally took the plunge and sent off my registration form to Sheffield today, can't wait to get my punch!