Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engraving

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Is he now? Small world Engraving is a skill that can go well with knifemaking, depending upon his style of knives - anything with bolsters or decent guards can be embellished.

You'll find that graver sharpening is something that needs doing fairly often (as you go along), so it is really a skill you'll need to learn for yourself. They go blunter far faster than most using knives, but thankfully most knives aren't asked to cut metal all the time.
    Just been speaking to the other half about the possibility of engraving some of his knives.. he has done some designs with brass/steel bolsters (some pics on his site here.. http://markhill-customknives.com). Might have to have a go if I turn out to be any good at it

Rachael x

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    I didn't much care for letter engraving,most of my engraving has been engraving patterns for my saw piercing and when carving crests.
    But way back in my youth I did enjoy engraving pictures, like these shown below, just engraved on scraps of copper. Both done over 40 years ago.
    James

Attachment 3808Attachment 3809
    Your engraving is amazing

I practice on copper.

As our teacher says to us Engraving isn't something that can be taught, but you need a teacher to learn it lol. I know make no sense but it is trial and error the technique is so time consuming and you also need the patience of a saint.

Quote Originally Posted by Katrina View Post
    I practice on copper.

As our teacher says to us Engraving isn't something that can be taught, but you need a teacher to learn it lol. I know make no sense but it is trial and error the technique is so time consuming and you also need the patience of a saint.
    May I ask who is your teacher Katrina, I was lucky that my Grandfather was an engraver and he taught me the basics back in the 1960s.
    Forgive me if you already know these sites, if not check them out and perhaps join.
    http://www.engraverscafe.com/forum.php
    http://www.engravingforum.com/

James

Hi James,

Our teacher is called Ruth Anthony, she is really good at what she does.
    She has a website but it doesnt have a lot of her work on it, or even her best work. go figure lol. But she made me like engraving which is a massive thing lol

www.ruthanthony.co.uk