Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Customs Form and How to Avoid being Stolen From Via Postal Services Etc

Default Customs Form and How to Avoid being Stolen From Via Postal Services Etc

Hi All, can any body help?

I know the title may not sound that positive, but I would like to know from anybody who sells jewellery internationally, what the best descriptive words are to put on a customs sticker are, preferably without using the specific words Silver or Gold Jewellery.

I have not yet started to sell internationally, jewellery any way, but other stuff I have and would like to sell and promote new british jewellery across the Europe and the World. Plus make loads of money too.

Look forward to hearing from you with your gems of wisdom

Jo

Hello Jo, I know a lot of people who send things to Australia, for example, who have quite strict rules, use the term costume jewellery. I sell internationally and describe my items as metal and whatever the thing is, pendant, earrings, brooch etc, though you still have to put the value on the customs form, so even if your description is not entirely precise the value tells a story too.

High value pieces of course should be sent insured signed for, and you should make it clear to your customers that they are responsible for any duties incurred, this will not stop theft but it at least discourages it and if the worst does come to the worst you are not entirely out of pocket.

To date, touch wood, fingers crossed and stroke a badgers nose I have had nothing go missing :0)

Despite the reassurance given by post office counters that you can insure an item for its full value, I know from recent experience:

1. That it is difficult to trace a lost item beyond UK borders. You can get a link to the foreign service, but a message simply comes up to the effect that there is no record.
    2. Royal mail's automated response is that to compensate you they require proof of purchase or a valuation.

I lost an old ring, sent to Spain, where I had replaced the stone and though I only tried to claim a mere £20 for the stone and sent a receipt, my claim was repeatedly rejected.
    They would not even refund the insurance premium:Value of service, Zero.

Should I have to do this again, I would investigate using a more secure carrier, although they are much more expensive. Dennis.

I post stuff out as costume jewellery and I also mark the customs form with a $20 value. I appreciate that it is slightly deceptive, but having lost stuff in the past, because it has valuable written all over it, I prefer not to take the chance. In my case, because I had a paypal invoice, it wasn't a problem claiming back. Took a looooong time though.

I declare actual value and use a fully insured service - airsure if available, and international signed for if not. If something gets opened and you have declared a false value, you are at fault, not the buyer. I generally use the catch-all "craft items" or "craft supplies" for the description, depending on whether the order is for finished pieces or findings.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I declare actual value and use a fully insured service - airsure if available, and international signed for if not. If something gets opened and you have declared a false value, you are at fault, not the buyer. I generally use the catch-all "craft items" or "craft supplies" for the description, depending on whether the order is for finished pieces or findings.
    I always use Airsure if possible too. I like the "craft items" description - might steal that!

I just had to refund a customer from Australia, as the Post Office refused to let me send jewellery there, as it's prohibited from being imported by the Australian postal service now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwant View Post
    Hello Jo, I know a lot of people who send things to Australia, for example, who have quite strict rules, use the term costume jewellery. I sell internationally and describe my items as metal and whatever the thing is, pendant, earrings, brooch etc, though you still have to put the value on the customs form, so even if your description is not entirely precise the value tells a story too.

High value pieces of course should be sent insured signed for, and you should make it clear to your customers that they are responsible for any duties incurred, this will not stop theft but it at least discourages it and if the worst does come to the worst you are not entirely out of pocket.

To date, touch wood, fingers crossed and stroke a badgers nose I have had nothing go missing :0)

"metal Jewellery" sounds like quite a good description

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    they require proof of purchase or a valuation.
    BSE: British Standard of Excellence !

or the mad cow at the post office who swears that you are covered for any eventuality ...........or so it would seem,

things are different here in France, if things go missing you get the full amount insured within a couple of weeks no questions asked :0)

Hi All

Thanks for the various replies some interesting 'techniques' have been given. I thank you all for the information, I will certainly bear in mind each 'trick', once I eventually start selling !!!

Will look into Airsure too, I know it can be incredibly pricey but knowing what the UK postal system is like as I have worked behind the counter at a post office in my past, it maybe worth another look to remind myself of the services, pros and cons etc.

Cheers all

If anybody else has any other points please feel free to share what you have. Thanks Jo