Thread: Making a plain round tube/ slider bead

Default Making a plain round tube/ slider bead

Hello,

I would like to make a 20mm long slider bead (tube bead) that fits on a men's chunky leather bracelet, so it will need to have a hole that measures around 8mm to 10mm. I would be making it using 0.5 silver sheet. My ring mandrel is too big, sorry if it an obvious question but what tool do I use? I have made one with smaller hole to fit a thinner bracelet and I used a paintbrush as a mandrel so it is not totally round. Nice though.

Thanks muchly

For something like that, I have a set of cheap pin punches from Machine Mart - but pretty much anything that'll stand up to forming the metal around it will do the job.

Hello Neve,

Check out model engineer's suppliers, I bought a selection of silver steel rods from this supplier; https://ekpsupplies.com/materials-me...l/cat_141.html
    The rods are just over a foot long and are useful for many things, I see they offer 8mm. diam for £3 and 10mm. diam for £4 approx.
    A good tip if you ever want to make your own small texturing tools and shaping punches, buy lengths of 3mm. and 5mm. diam. silver steel rods, file them to shape then harden and temper them and they will last for years becoming a great addition to your tool kit. Lengths of these silver steel rods are also great for making jump rings.

James

Alternatively you could just buy large gauge tube from Argex, they have 8, 9 and 10mm internal diameter 0.50 wall thickness sterling tube and they cut to requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwant View Post
    Alternatively you could just buy large gauge tube from Argex, they have 8, 9 and 10mm internal diameter 0.50 wall thickness sterling tube and they cut to requirement.
    As do Rashbel

Looking ahead when you have chosen the tube, you might want to close the ends, to create a more bead-like effect. Domed disks would be best as they would help to locate the holes when threading. The holes can be further finished by soldering on jump rings.

You might also want to decorate your bead by soldering on small cut-outs or spiral wires. But should you want a texture, then a medium frosting wheel for your flex shaft will do the trick and blend in the edges of the end caps at the same time.

Always wear eye protection, as frosting wheels can moult. Dennis.

I love you lot! You're tops, thank you! Great advice and great tips.....I have found in the bottom of my toolbox a metal rod with a diameter of 10mm! Bingo! I will have a go and show you the results x x x

Knitting needles are good too, charity shops have loads for pennies.

Quote Originally Posted by Neve View Post
    I love you lot! You're tops, thank you! Great advice and great tips.....I have found in the bottom of my toolbox a metal rod with a diameter of 10mm! Bingo! I will have a go and show you the results x x x

I just buy steel rods off ebay to use as formers for making jump rings etc. Very cheap, and failing that, old metal knitting needles!

Melanie

http://www.spinysharklythings.com

Great minds think alike.

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie De Castro Pugh View Post
    I just buy steel rods off ebay to use as formers for making jump rings etc. Very cheap, and failing that, old metal knitting needles!

Melanie

http://www.spinysharklythings.com